Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

She doesn't think radiation and chemo is that bad because she never went through it....

radiation from the neck up is tough...others can tell you more...my treatments start the 16th

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ruby:

Although the saying 'everybody is different' is true when it comes to reactions and responses to treatments. Its very irresponsible for someone who represents the american cancer society to even suggest its not that bad and you could care for yourself. Obviously she has never experienced oral cancer first hand and knows nothing about it. Please be smart and dont listen to someone with no experience with oral cancer. You may want to call the american cancer society and speak to a different person. They have a network set up with volunteers who drive patients for treatment. You should have been given the info instead of her own opinion and a wrong one at that.

You will need help. There are doctor appointments, daily radiation to get to, groceries, prescriptions, laundry, monitoring calories nutrition and water intake, even just the most basic household chores and bathing. On top of that you have a husband who needs a great deal of help and supervision.

Have you talked in detail to all your friends and relatives yet? Have you considered ataying with someone while you go thru treatments? What about going to the larger facility for treatments? Any thoughts on getting another opinion? There are so many inconsistancies with your doctor that you need to be on top of things. It sounds like you are getting the run around for scheduling a simple pet scan. That is something your doctors office should be doing for you.

Hoping things will get easier for you soon.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I just found out lately that Senior Citizen Centers will drive you to appointments . Give them a try too. Our local one does.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
rubyann Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Just wanted to thank all of you. We couldn't move in with anyone. we have 3 dogs 1 cat, 11 chickens and two ponds full of fish. We live in California so we have to water everyday and feed. My husband can take care of all that with the help of a grandson, The drug store is going to deliever all of our drugs free, (which we spent enought there over the last 30 years) between us we take 23 drugs and I most likey will be adding new ones. Daughter is going to pay our bills on line I have it set up, grand daughter said all we had to do is call, but said she would be here everyday to see what we need, She can't do that she has 2 small kids one in school, but she will be here a lot and plans on doing our shopping. I'm going to go to senior center next week and see if they can help with rides when needed. Im also going to talk to the social worker at cancer center to make sure I know how an get help when I need it with peg and other problems that will come up. I get the pet scan on Sat. go to the cancer doctor on Tue. and radiation doc. on Wen. I was hopping to start on the 8th. but I don't see a doctor about the peg till the 12th. can the peg be put in after the radiation starts? looks like its going to happen, funny I can't wait The sooner it starts the sooner it ends and I won't have to set around worrying about it. Im funny that way if I gotta do it then lets get started. I hate the waiting, I have my mind set, its going to be bad, but I'm going to do it if it kills me as the old saying goes.

Last edited by rubyann; 08-29-2008 12:39 AM. Reason: foggot oput something in

cancer surgery on July 7th. 2008, I'm now a survivor. cancer free for now. 39 radiation, and 8 chemo treatments.

Ruby, Im so happy to hear you have rounded up the troops to help you. I was very concerned about your situation. Its better to have too much help and not need it than try to find help and dont have any. Dont forget to call back the american cancer society (dont talk to the colon cancer woman) ask for rides and if you need help with prescription costs. Some meds are very expensive.

Ask the social worker for a home health aid or preferably a visiting nurse. Insurance covers this. With having a peg tube, most hospitals will send a visiting nurse to check on your peg tube to make sure no infections and that you are getting proper nutrition.

Hope your pet scan comes out with good results. Let your granddaughter come daily, you may need her or she may be able to help your husband. Right now you need to line up all the help you can get.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
rubyann Offline OP
OP Offline

thank you christine, I really hated to ask because it will be for so long. when I had my surgery, my grand daughter came home from the hospital with me. left the kids with her husband and wanted to stay all night, but I told her no so she came back every morning for a week and call a couple times a day. If I need her she will get a setter and come, just hate to take her away from her family, her husband has to cook for himself when she's not at home, he's sweet, but shouldn't have to come home and cook after an 12 hour day at work. she's the only one that don't work full time, the rest can help here and there. I think I'll wait on the cancer center till last, funny that lady made me cry and I don't know why, maybe because I didn't believe her, it was the first time that I cried in front of someone, I do my crying when I'm alone. I'm a odd ball. hope every thing is going alright for you, I haven't had much time to read the broad.
Have a good night.
Ruby

cancer surgery on July 7th. 2008, I'm now a survivor. cancer free for now. 39 radiation, and 8 chemo treatments.

Ruby-If your grandaughter wants to help-let her. It's a good example for her young children to see people helping one another. As a young child my mom would take my sisters and I all over the place to help older people who needed a hand. We would even go to nursing homes just to visit people she had befriended.

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.

Ruby,

Regarding the PEG surgery after the start of treatment. If you decide to do that, opt for the surgery on a Friday so that you have the weekend to recover. You will be sore for a couple of days and won't feel like moving around a lot. Also, make sure that, if possible, you have a home health aide/nurse show you how to use the PEG and what supplies are needed. Do you have insurance?? If so, it should (as Christine said) pay for the feeding supplement and supplies...a lot of companies are out there that will supply all of this, bill your insurance, and deliver it to your home.

Good luck with all of this...I know it feels like a mountain to climb. Once you start treatment, a lot of the stress will end and you will have to put your resources toward eating, drinking and healing.

Hugs, Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Ruby,

If your Granddaughter offered to help...I would let her do so. You will need assistance. You wouldn't be taking advantage of anyone...it's what family is for...Remember, if she didn't want to do it...she wouldn't have offered. She offered because she wants too.

Does your Hospital have a taxi/shuttle bus available for patients undergoing treatments? I would call and find out.

good luck

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users