Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

The loss of Danny is a loss not only to his family and friends, but to his "family" here on the OCF Forum where he was always a pillar of strength and courage in the face of adversity. Dan Bogen was always quick to give support and uncoragement to those who faced fear and pain, and we will miss him terribly...

Here's to you Danny Boy, go in peace. We love you...

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I am so sad that we have lost such a wonderful friend and mentor. I offer my most sincere condolences to Danny's wonderful family. Thank you so much for sharing your husband and father with all of us, he helped so many.

While I have serious doubts about organized religion,I am absolutely certian that there is a new angel and he'll be watching over this community. Danny Boy won't have to earn his wings because he had them already when he was here, he was an angel to many of us that he welcomed and encouraged. I am personally grateful for his support and courage and the example he set of how to LIVE with and in spite of this disease.

"The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper."
-Aristotle

Peace Denise

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.

Danny Boy was a gigantic man! He walked with vigor at the Oral Cancer Walkathon in Virginia Beach. He smiled, chatted, joked, and befriended everyone. He came with a purpose, to love people and to walk in support of this Oral Cancer group.

I enjoyed our time together on that warm, sunny spring morning in VA beach. He told me how his golf winnings were used to buy Christmas gifts. He loved golf and he loved giving. Danny Boy had a radiant smile and a contagious laugh.

Lov

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.

I would like to thank you all for the Kind words for my Brother, and Friend, Danny Boy! We laid him to rest today, and his fight is done! I can tell you that he taught me what courage is about, wright up to the end! There were many kind words
said, as you all proably know. We will all miss that smile, that laugh, and his witt. Untill we see each other again, I salute you Danny Boy.

Your Brother, John B

John B
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Danny Boy,

My luminarias for you in Relay for Life have always been in honor of... and now will be in memory of... You will always be the HOPE in our fight.

You will be missed.

Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Clearly from reading all these posts, Danny was loved and respected. I feel lucky to have known Danny, and much that transpired between us, changed me profoundly. My world is diminished by his absence from it. I have been waiting for several days to post, thinking of what I can say that would do justice to the man that Danny was... but I think that all of you have used the words and sentiments that reflect my own. Oddly, while thoughts of Danny's family are on my mind, and I have spent a great deal of time replaying my conversations with him in my head, my thoughts are mostly of myself. I know that sounds selfish, but the pain of losing someone that I have grown to care about so strongly, dominates my senses. It is the worst part of being constantly involved with this disease on a daily basis through OCF.

Certainly people's battles and recurrences weigh on all of us, as it is far too easy to see ourselves in their place. Anyone who has read my posts on the board knows that I stay to the science pretty much, and leave much of the emotional handholding to those who do it much better than I. I know today why I take that position, it is defensive. But Danny was not the kind of person that you could emotionally keep at arm's length. His honesty and candor, coupled with his genuine good nature worked its way into you. He was always about others; he was always about helping OCF in its events, and in trying to help us raise money to stay alive. In all the conversations I had with him, he seldom spoke of his own situation, or needs. He certainly was a gentle, caring human being whose easygoing manner and inner strength set an example that I can only aspire to. I will miss him greatly.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Beautiful eulogies, all. We have been blessed to have had Danny in our lives; let us each try to pass on the gift of love he gave us.

We will all miss you, Danny.

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

This illness always surrounds us with sadness, however it also exposes us to the resilient spirit, the profound insite, and the unwavering courage all of which Danny showed us. There are many more here who will follow in his footsteps and be shinning star amongst us. I thank him for his support, praise him for his courage and am humbled unselfish acts of kindness. March on Danny Boy you will continue to inspire us all.
Lenny

Danny was a great guy...a charming and funny scamp and, although I never met him in person I always considered him a friend and was so pleased by the role that he played on the OCF forum. As my health improved, I inevitably got back to work and a semblance of my normal life and spent less time on the forum, although I still check it out every day or so. When I would check in, there would be Danny Boy, welcoming and encouraging some new member who reallly needed it...and I was always thankful that he was here to do that. Danny was a kind man and he
will be truly missed.

The other Danny

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

I had received the message from Maggie last week when checking my email while on vacation in South America. Although I had no time to sign in to the forum I did send a short personal note off to the Bogan Family. Well, I'm back and and of course the first thing to do is touch base with all you dear people of the OCF.

I had no doubt that the tributes to Danny that I knew I would find here, would be overwhelming. And for sure, I have not been disappointed. Those of you that personally knew him have painted a wonderful picture for those that did not.

Although I was not fortunate to have met him, Danny holds a special place in my heart. From his reassuring words here on the forum, his insight and good humor, I had grown to know that he was a very special person. He will be sadly missed and I take comfort in knowing that he no longer suffers.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users