Next Thread
Print Thread
#7787 07-05-2006 11:49 AM
Joanna Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

http://walmart.triaddigital.com/Brands/gsk_oasis_smp.aspx

Click on the Free Sample icon on the upper right side of the site.

From the site above:

"Now there's good news. New Oasis

Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Thanks Joanna. Stephens speech and swallow therapist just recommended this for him so I clicked on for the free samples to see if he likes it before buying it.

Kerry/wife of stephenm
StageIV - Base of Tongue T4N0M0
XRT x42 / Taxol and Carboplatin x4
Tx. Finished 5/08/06
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

This product is from GSK. The new mouthwash and this are nothing more than glycerine and water. If you want this rather poor substitute for the products that Biotene has, go to the drug store and buy USP glycerine, and add it to tap water in a sports bottle. I used this combination at MDACC as a swish and spit, and it worked pretty good, (without any bacteria fighting properties) at a fraction of the cost of the new Oasis product, but it still not as good as Biotene, which has a comprehensive, patented line of products for all the aspects of dry mouth.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian, I am sure you are correct as usual, except all Biotene burns my mouth something terrible. I have enough saliva now, but I am sure I am not the only person who cannot tolerate Biotene products. At any rate, I think "try before you buy" is a good move economically. For the record, I am not in any way connected with this product, or the site that offers it. Just trying to help.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I never suggested that anyone was doing anything inappropriate, (pls note that I left the link up). I was only suggesting that people read the labels. If someone wants to buy something this basic for the highest market price out there, and it works for them, they should go for it. I just happen to know the backstory on it. GSK wanted to buy Laclede, which is privately owned, and when the owner turned them down they came out with a competing product. Problem is they haven't found a way around the Biotene patents that protect the part of the product that really makes it work, which are the active enzymes. So you end with something that is mostly water and a very basic ingredient available at any drug store for 50 cents a bottle, glycerine. GSK can throw millions in marketing money at a product. Laclede will never have that kind of clout...but they have what counts, and that is something that really keeps the flora in your mouth balanced in a healthy way (no alcohol), and at the same time offers moisturizing agents. Am I prejudiced...yes. But chemistry is still chemistry.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23