Tom J,
As I've said before, my brother never complained - not even once. Honest to God, if I had known just how bad what he was going through was, I don't know if I could have handled it. That being said, please let your caregivers and doctors know about the pain. David would take it as long as he possibly could, then when he would kneal on the floor and just hold his head in his hands, we would scramble for the emergency room, only to be confronted by a rural medical center that didn't know how to deal with such a great level of pain or were afraid to "mess up" something MD Anderson was doing. Home was 800 miles away from MD Anderson and pain treatment was anything but easy. That being said, there are probably many things you need to share with your doctors and caregivers (in fact I would share all with my doctors) but you will know if something is more than your caregiver can bare. Believe it or not, and I know this is selfish, but we draw strength from you, our loved one and cancer suffer. Because of David's lack of sharing I was afraid he was in complete denial, until one day his little 5 year old girl drew a picture for my sister and said, "This is my Daddy crying." David has been gone 11 months now and the days I have not thought of him and cancer can be counted on one hand. I do wish he had communicated more about his illness and please never hesistate to tell someone about your pain. Only you can decide about the rest.
Best wishes and I hope things improve for you soon,

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.