Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brian

AS someone else said ..proud isnt even a big enough word for the way you should feel !!! You definatley deserved to be recognized for all the dedication and hard work you have put into this site. All the lives you have touched and people you have brought together !! Thanks so much for all you do and I know I am PROUD to be part of this family..and more then THANKFUL that it exists !

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
sharlee #77261 07-20-2008 08:05 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Brian,

I'm proud to be associated with this site and in a small way with you. What you've done for us all by getting OCF going has made and will make a tremendous positive impact on many lives.

Well Done Mr. Hill!

Tim

Tim Please!!! Mr. Hill was my father, everyone calls me Brian......

Last edited by Brian Hill; 07-20-2008 11:05 PM. Reason: addition to post

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.

Brian,
Thank you for "pushing" the issues of OC into the major leagues. You deserve all the thanks and recognition coming your way.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka #77306 07-21-2008 07:00 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Thank you all for the kind and generous comments. There is so much more happening that what I have put up here. As time permits I will continue to update those of you that come here. Some of these things are big enough to do full US press releases on and that will bring more attention and support to OCF for the future. But I never feel like this is some effort of MINE, I really do feel that we are part of a family, and each in their own way contributes to our accomplishments.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #77322 07-21-2008 10:36 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Thank you Brian for everything you have done. Mom felt so much comfort when she was in the waiting area at Hopkins and noticed the OCF information on the tables.
You truly are a blessing.

Lost my mother, Minnie, to Oral Cancer October 29th, 2008. I am so thankful she had the OCF to help her through her five year struggle.
Brian Hill #77329 07-22-2008 06:41 AM

Hi Brian,

My heartfelt CONGRATULATIONS and appreciation go to you. You know how very much Dr. Gillison and her team have helped me! I am so grateful that OCF continues to make possible further discovery and knowledge to fight OC. (I wish the Chicago Tribune article on June 8 had cited OCF, but the author chose not to.)

Happy 20 million hits! I feel honored to be even a small part of OCF. You are an amazing, giving, brilliant leader, and your membership in the AAOM is an outstanding accomplishment. How blessed the world is that you have taken on this giant menace, and I also owe gratitude to everyone who has joined with you in this cause.

Cheers and thank yous,
Carol

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!

Congrats and multiply what everyone else said!

Cheers!

Tizz

End of Radiation - the "Ides of March" 2004 :-)
tizz #78066 08-04-2008 05:19 PM

Brian,

During the 2 weeks that I was away, I suffered from a lack of internet access. Internet service on cruise ships leaves something to be desired, as it is slower than dial up and disconnects constantly.

One of the few emails that I was able to get to read was from August (Colleen) who forwarded me your original post. She knew how happy I would be to see it and didn't want me to have to wait until I got home. I just barely got to read it before the computer chugged to a stop. I had hoped to be able to get on the forum to post, but that would have been impossible. I know Brian, you told me to take a break from Oral Cancer and just relax. That will never happen as I have made so many dear friends here and missed everyone in my family while I was away. And in fact, I a made a friend that has a cousin who is a dentist and after I told him my story, he asked to me to send him as much information about OC that I could so that he could make sure his cousin was "doing it right".

I am trying to read all that I had missed and over the past 2 days I have been able to steal some time away from all the other things one has to do to "catch up" when returning from a trip. I've just barely made it through the first 2 forums and as always, so many new members, so many questions, so many frightened people. They have come to the right place...the place that you have created to provide information, answers and a shoulder to lean on.

What you have createded here, is beyond anything that could be expected from any one person. What you continue to do and what I am sure you will succeed in doing in the future, one can not even begin to iagine.

The knowledge that I have gained from this website and the mission that I feel has been handed to me as a dentist and an oral cancer survivor, gives me something to look forward to every day. I look forward to being able to spend even more time educating the public and dentists and helping surviviors after I retire.

I don't remember if I asked you if you get copies of Dental Economics and have seen the the wonderful series of articles on OC that they have been doing over the last 4 months. My story was in the July issue and I know you know at least two of the other three people whose stories preceded mine...Barb Boland and Larry Hamburg. I give a lot of credit to the people running this magazine for the effort they are putting into bringing the oral cancer story to the dental profession. Since this is a free magazine, it reaches almost every dentist in the country. I was able to get OCF's name in at least 4 or 5 times as well as the website and phone number. I had a lot more control over this than the TV interviews where I was not successful at all getting in a plug.

So congratulations Brian on your accomplishments. I am proud to be associated with such a caring individual as you and proud to be your friend and a member of your family. I was disappointed that we could not meet in NYC last April and I look forward to the prospect of us meeting in Philadelphia in the fall. Are you ready for some of those famous "Philly Cheesesteaks"?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
wilckdds #78073 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

I forgot to mention how excited I am about the forthcoming standard of care protocol. The lack of such a standard has been bothering me for a very long time. This is major accomplishment that will certainly go a long way in benefiting many patients and clear up much of the confusion that can occur with opinions from different doctors.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
wilckdds #78098 08-05-2008 12:29 AM
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

As always Jerry your kind comments are greatly appreciated, and your support in its many forms is invaluable to OCF, those that come here, and to me personally. I will send you a copy of the first draft of the protocol standard as soon as I get it back from the next two reviewers, Kerr and Gillison. Your comments will be greatly appreciated, and since this has been drawn from many in Ivory Towers, I think it will be invaluable to hear from a real world wet finger doctor.

My first ever editorial was written for Dental Economics 5 years ago. They indeed have been a valuable asset to the dental community in relationship to this disease.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics