Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Belle:

You must have gone thru terrrible pain. With my two biopsies, my oral surgeon used disposable sutures.
Im not medically literate at all with those big words on your report. If that means its not cancerous, then congrats!!!!
Hopefully you will find a competent caring doctor in the future.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

This guy is a piece of work. You may be a let it go kind of person. Me, I would write the dental review board.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Belle

My first biopsy I was Knocked out...But they "removed" the lesion ( which was there for like 8-9 months , Yet wasnt going to be cancer ) . I had 2 since and I am pretty sure he used some kind of novacaine. 1st one was done by my oral surgeon . Last 2 were by my ENT. I take Ativan though for my nerves .... even though I know it isnt going to be excrutiating ..it is still very overwheleming so I take the ativan before I go.

I cant't imagine what these Drs think...Like the reason for the procedure isnt enough ...and then to not practice good pain management ??? ANd then HE MAILS you the results ..like you are medical and understand all the termanology ..what a JERK... I hope you find a GOOD Dr to go to ..

PLease know we are here for you !!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I know the pain you felt. I had my first punch biopsy done under the right side of my tongue. When he went to do the biospy I questioned him if he was going to numb the area. he said NO that the needle would hurt just as much as the biospy. I screamed bloody murder the whole office heard me, then it was over. I was alittle sore but I trusted my doctor and i still trust him. That biopsy came back inconclusive so he had we return in three weeks. By that time the sore had worsten and very painful. So now I know he was going to do another biopsy I had so much fear in my eyes. He then did 2 biospies in 2 different areas and yes I screamed. I am still not sure what hurt worst the biospy or them pulling out my peg tube or having a baby. I have worked with alot of doctors and know that this doctor is very direct and confident that is why I continued treatment with him. I have had great care just I do believe that if I ever have to have another biospy in my mouth I will have them numb the area. I believe that becasue they where ounch biospies is why he didn't numb the area, because once it was over I was only alittle sore. You will find a lot of information on this web site, but much more important you will find support. Don't be afriad to question anything !!!!

Tammy 43 yr non smoker- Dx-10/11/07 Stage 4 Tongue Cancer Surg.10/17/07, 1/4 Tongue and 14 Lymph nodes 5 positive, Peg tube/Chemo port,Chemo 3 wks/Radiation 6 wks begins 11/07 end 02/08.Teeth removed prior to radiation. PetScan 05/08 CLEAR 09/09. 2011 diag. w/osteoradionecrosis.100 HBO's
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck and I hope you are better cared for the next time.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Belle,

Sounds like there is nothing in the report that shows cancer. It is a good idea to get everything read by a competent dentist. Seems like congratulations are in order, but please let us know what the outcome is after your next visit.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Wow!!
Topical for a biopsy and mail the results. Holy shortcuts batman I think I may have to do my job.
Sorry folks, my sense of humor got the best of me again.
If I have read the posts correctly I would have to say...ouch!!
Topical for a biopsy not the standard of care where I was trained and mailing a report to a patient...thats like sending a copy of my degree ( it's in Latin) to every patient. I suppose it costs less to have a staff member lick the stamp than to actually call the person and relay the results in understandable terms. A normal biopsy report can scare the pants off someone who is not familiar with pathology terms. I agree with Brian, what a piece of work this person is.
Now, as far as biopsies go, punch biopsies and any other biopsy for that matter, doesn't need to be sutured as long as it does not invade/include removing a section of the basement membrane (BM). 5cm or even 10cm for that matter; if the BM remains intact healing by secondary intent should suffice providing the patients primary and secondary clotting mechanisms are intact. If the BM has been removed and/or violated then sutures should be placed to close the wound.
From a pure physiological position sutures put foreign cells next to foreign cells even if they are of the same type ie. skin and skin, that is why scar tissue forms. I have personally observed a patient having over 40% of the surface of his tongue removed by and ENT and no sutures placed. Healing was uneventful. If this procedure went beyond the BM and into the connective and/or muscle tissue then grafting and a combination of sutures would have been used.
Simply, a 1 cm incision will heal at the same rate as a 10 cm incision due to the fact that wounds heal across (primary intention) and from the bottom up (secondary intention) providing that the basement membrane is present (the patient is of normal health and not immunocompromised) to provide the proper cells.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users