Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi, Minnie,

The port is not bad to put in and makes the treatment and blood drawing so much easier. My husband had the same three chemo drugs you mentioned at the beginning of this thread for his induction chemo (he had all 3 at once with 2 given over the course of a day along with fluids and nausea meds at the hospital and then the 5 fu pump was started there and continued at home for 5 days). Then, two weeks off and then all three over again. He had his chemo begin on a Monday and the 5 fu pump was removed- by me with my hazmat materials handy!- on Saturday. He felt fine during the actual chemo day infusions (was given stuff for nausea during the actual infusions and continued it during the week) but about a day or two after the 5 fu pump was removed, he bagan to have thrush and some minor mouth sores and pain. He began a low dose fentanyl patch not too long after that (I can't remember if it was a couple of weeks after the first round or after the second round) and actually got through the second round pretty well as he had the pain meds, breakthrough pain meds, nausea meds and meds for thrush and his rinses. The 3rd round was a bit tougher but he still felt pretty decent at the end of it. In addition to zofran, he found lorazepam (both calms, helps nausea, and helps sleep) helpful. He took compazine a couple of times.

I think that you already know about rinses, thrush, the peg tub and what works for you with nausea and pain, constipation so you will do better than he did. You will be much better prepared and you have already dealt with mouth pain so it won't be so suprising to you. You know what works for you in terms of food. For us it was the beginning of treatment and we had to learn everything that worked for him as the symptoms developed and we weren't always able to address side effects quickly and in the best way for him. He did lose his hair and that began after a few weeks at which pont he shaved it off. He was able to eat all the way through this treatment but his mouth did begin to hurt and he did use the peg tube to supplement his fluids and calories.

Your treatment is definitely more intense than just getting cisplatin. It is 3 types of chemo drugs and I believe at higher levels. Please let us know if we can tell you any more about our experience with this treatment.

Best wishes- Sophie

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Minnie,
I trust that you are holding up well and the outcome will be good news. You certainly have the best medicine available - your terrific family. I have found that all the information is helpful but this cancer stuff is like the best and worst of having a baby - you just have to get through it and pray that everything will be fine.

Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Minnie, I was thinking of you on the 23rd (it was also my Dad's birthday so an easy day for me to remember). I hope you are doing OK with the first round of chemo. Actually, you've been in my thoughts (and prayers) every day since then too.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
minniea Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello friends, I have entered the land of the living again! Chemo and I did not make friends and I don't see a good future for us. The day of having it put in was fine, shoot they gave me a big bag of benadryl that knocked me out for the entire time. My mom literally had to wake me up to take me home. That night I was achy and tired but it wasn't to bad. Day 2 was when the storm hit, the nausea set in and made itself comfortable. I only vomited 4 times over the next three days but the nausea stayed with me. I have decided that I would rather puke than feel like I have to puke! They gave me a shot the second day for my WBC and it made my body ache, alot. So, out came the compazine, the zofran, the tylenol and the vicodin. The compazine suppositories (fun, fun) seemed to work pretty well and I also used some of the very expensive Zofran but nothing took the feeling away. By day 5 I was starting to climb out of the hole and today I feel much better. My big concern now is getting strength back. I've fainted twice trying to go to the bathroom and it really scares my mom. I'm slowly introducing the Carnation VCU, very watered down, along with some baby foods. I lost 9 pounds in the past week but I had gained extra so I'm ok. I've already gained back 2 pounds.

I find that all I want to do is sleep..............so I do. Whenever I feel like I need to, I sleep. And it's healing powers are noticable.

Nelie, my address is 4524 Revere Drive, Va. Beach, Va. 23456, last name is Ashworth. I told Kayla a special person was sending some scarfs so she's excited. I'm keeping a close watch on my hair, so far I'm must noticing more of it coming out when I brush it or wash it than usual, not sure if that's a sign. I'm prepared either way.

My thoughts are consumed with the fact that I have to do this again in a couple weeks.............where do we find the strength?

Love to all,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Oh, Minnie, what an ordeal. Oh, how I wish we could all pray hard enough in one big group prayer circle to make all of this go away for all of us....BUT it's not an option. Your spunk and your good humor and your faith will get you through it...and while you're at it, you continue to cheer the rest of us. Know that you are in my prayers during this trying time.

XOX--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Minnie,

I sure you will find the strength to do this. You have that mental toughness. BTW it's Carnation VHC. VCU is that University close to you in Richmond. LOL

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Where do you find the strength indeed! Hopefully, when you don't have it within...from your creator, your family, and your friends here at OCF.

Sending cyberhugs and prayers,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Minnie,

I responded to this thread a while back when you described your chemo regimen. I realize now when thinking back on my husband's experience that it is very different and very difficult when you get the multi-chemo regimens that you are having as each drug does different things and has different side effects. I had mentioned before that the first one really hit my husband hard but the second and third were easier as he knew what to expect and took all of the things you mentioned such as the anti-nausea arsenal and knew that he would feel pretty bad for about 5 days and then feel better. It sounds as if his nausea was more easily controlled than yours but in retrospect, it was a very difficult course of treatment. I'm so sorry you have to go through this but it really worked in his case - and he had some respite between treatments.

Sophie

Last edited by Sophie H.; 05-30-2008 03:31 PM.

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016

Minnie,

I will get those scarves in the mail to you tomorrow. I had forgotten all about compazine suppositories (which I also had to use at times). I also forgot that feeling of thinking you'd rather actually vomit than feel like you are on the edge of it all the time. Yuck. I'm sorry the chemo hit you so badly but I see you being such a fighter as usual--working to regain weight as soon as you can for example.

If you're swallowing stuff (sounded like maybe you are with the mention of babyfood), I have created a new shake recipe that involves creamy caramel ice cream and hazlenut milk that is yummy and fairly high calorie. If you are feeling up to it, I'll be glad to post it.

As for the fainting, have you had your BP checked? I tend to run low and have had my own fainting spells over the years because of that. If you are running really low yourself, I wonder if there isn't something they could give you. But I'm sure you're right that the best medicine right now is sleep sleep sleep and nutrition.

We'll be here for you when you have to go back for more. I hate it that you do have to, though.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hello Minnie,
I have checked every day to see your post. I sure have been thinking of you. I am so sorry it was so bad for you. You are good
to just listen to your body and rest and eat as much as you can. I will say prayers. You are a strong lady and have a lot of family and good friends to help you pull through. Please let them help you, and please keep us posted. I have emailed everybody to see if
they heard about you.
Keep fighting and keep faith
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users