Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7383 03-30-2006 06:55 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My check up went well with a resident instead of my usual ENT doc yesterday, but he's insisting that I find a primary care doc here locally and get my thyroid tested. At least get a baseline, but their records indicate that I was borderline hypothyroid last time they check about six months ago. Now, of course, it makes sense to me that my thyroid was probably fried with radiation... but really I feel FINE at the moment. Then again, compared to the end of treatment last year, I'm bouncing on air.

Not to get lengthy, I don't understand thyroid issues in layman's terms. I'm also resisting having to take yet another daily pill (ugh.. I'm starting to HATE pill bottles)

My question for you fellow head and neck cancer survivors is if you too have to take thyroid meds? Do they have any bad side effects? My resident yesterday seemed to indicate that my thyroid MIGHT recover and it may be a possibility that I might not even need the synthetic thyroid med, but I'm wondering if that means there's a possibility I'll be on synthetic thyroid the rest of my life?

Guess perhaps one of the reasons I'm balking is that I have just started to regain some of the weight I lost and don't want any medication that regulates my metabolism to screw up any of these hard won gains. Hope that makes sense

Jen

#7384 03-30-2006 07:33 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jen,
They should have done a full baseline thyroid test on you BEFORE you ever had radiation. Check with whoever was doing your blood work. Having thyroid problems after radiation is not uncommon. They checked mine very 3 months for years. I did not have a problem until the second cancer when they removed half my thyroid as part of my other surgery. It took a while to find the correct dosage but now no problems. You want your TSH to be as close to what it was before radiation as possible. Being 'in range' is not good enough as the range is fairly large. Your inability to gain weight may be related to your TSH level not being what is normal for you. The pills are tiny and seem to have no side effects. I get a full thyroid blood test every 6 months, every 3 if thre is a change in meds.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#7385 03-30-2006 12:10 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jen,

I had fairly regular TSH tests for years after treatment, and for quite a while they were showing my thyroid was moderately underactive (but not quite enough to justify medication). I was actually starting to put on somewhat MORE weight than I wanted, but then the next TSH test came back more toward the normal range and my weight seems (miraculously) to have adjusted back down to what it was when I got married over 30 years ago. I can live with that!

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#7386 03-30-2006 06:40 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hey Jen,
I have been taking synthroid for almost two years now. My symptoms were dramatic weight gain, feeling cold all the time, feeling confused and really tired. It took about 6-9 months to get the dosage correct but now I'm doing fine with it. I'm back down to my normal 122 (from 158!!) and as long as I continue to take my medicine I feel fine. The pills are tiny, no issues taking them, and they cause me NO side effects. Until I started taking the medication, I didn't realize HOW MUCH the effects of the underactive thyroid were having on me. We tend to adjust to our bodies at times. Once I started the meds and got them straight, I notice a big difference in myself if I miss a dose. When we went away for a week, I forgot my medicine and boy was I feeling it by day 5. Get it checked, if you need the meds, know that it's a simple fix.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#7387 03-30-2006 07:18 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jen
I have Hypothyriodism not from CA just from having it. Minnie is so right. No side effects at all from the meds only feeling yucky if I miss more than one or two and I too didn't really notice the symptoms at first. Now it's just a little pill every morning and some blood work about every six months to year when you get on maintenance. I had all the above symptoms especially the tired, cold, my hair was falling out in clumps and I was actually feeling disoriented to the point of thinking i was losing it. Really after all you been through no biggie at all at all. The hardest part is getting your dosage right and figuring out what option works best for you because I understand from other friends that there are some variables of meds from regular synthroid once a day which I take,to time release to low doses twice a day. Regarding pill bottles. I hate em too since Bob has had cancer he also has diabetes and high blood pressure the bottles in full view where starting to be a reminder that we are old farts at 44 so now we each have what used to be junk drawers in the kitchen dedicated to meds so they are out of sight but still part of the morning routine.

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
#7388 03-31-2006 01:03 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks for the input. I booked an appointment today with a NEW family practice doc. I'm hoping I don't run into the previous one at the clinic because I might growl at him. Part of my hang up is after a year of dealing with doctors and medical tests and procedures, I just feel like I've had my fill, but I'm gonna give this new doc a chance. After what I've just been through, I really don't want to rush into a colonoscopy, mammogram and all that fun just yet.

My major concern is that if I am prescribed synthetic thyroid meds if they will monitor me enough to know if I'm on the right doseage. I've already tried to educate myself and guess I do have some of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid. I am way too sensitive to cold and after rejoicing that my monthly cycle has returned, it's erratic, too heavy and too long.

Well, we shall see if this new doc works out to take care of my other non-cancer issues. Compared to last year though, I feel absolutely GREAT. I absolutely don't wanna slide away from feeling great. Maybe if my thyroid gets what it needs I can hope to feel even better... hmmmm, must think POSITIVE...

thanks again

Jen

#7389 03-31-2006 03:50 PM

I hope your new Doc is a good fit. and if you are suffering from Hypothyroid you will feel even better. Whats better than GREAT...GREATERER??
Denise

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
#7390 04-01-2006 12:59 AM

Hey there Jen,

Unless you have a family history of colon cancer, they probably won't push for a colonoscopy yet (unfortunately I do have that--had my first at age 42 and am now due for my second--blech). But after my experience with breast cancer I really hate to hear about someone putting off a mammogram (because mine never would have been caught as early as it was without a mammo.--it couldn't be felt at all). I understand not wanting to be put through any more unplesant procedures, believe me, but the treatment (as well as the prognosis) for breast cancer is not so bad when it's caught really early and can be pretty bad when it's caught later, and the mammogram procedure itself will feel like a piece of cake to you after everything you've been through!

Just my 2 cents......I'm so glad you are putting some weight back on and feeling really good. I'm feeling much much better too except for my swallowing...take care and keep thinking positive!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#7391 04-01-2006 04:25 AM
Cat Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I Jen, I too have to take a pill before I eat
breakfast. No, bad side effects from it just
feeling better in that department. If I could
just get everything else straightened out I would
be fine. If you need to take a pill you need it.
Please for us and yourself you may find that you
feel better and have more energy.
Cathy

Cathy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members