Next Thread
Print Thread
#73572 04-24-2008 04:56 AM
sbk Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello all,

It has been a long, long time since I posted...

I think last time I posted, no one had experienced the fatigue that John is having....

But I thought I would try again...he is now 4 years out from Stage 2b/3 tonsilar ca s/p surgery, trach, peg, chemo, and radiation ...is now "cured" according to his surgeon, radiation oncologist, and oncologist... BUT he feels exhausted much of the time...

He is on thyroid medicine, anti-depressants, has been in counseling, but still feels exhausted much of the time....

Just to put it in perspective, he worked through his treatment (took 4 weeks off after surgery to get used to the trach)...but worked through radiation, chemo, and he is still working, but totally exhausted...

We have read about chemo brain, but not sure if this would explain to some degree this long, long term fatigue.

I understand the fatigue...but he is to the point where he cannot function at work or home...

Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for any help or thoughts you might have...

Best,
Sara

Wife of John, 40yo, SCC R Tonsil (3/10/04), s/p resection and rad neck, forarm falp, taxolx3 pre rad, rad (30 txmnts) & taxol/carbo. Now he is 49 and doing well!!!
sbk #73578 04-24-2008 07:11 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

How often do they check his thyroid levels and do they do a full panel? Is his TSH level at the same level as it was BEFORE he had radiation? If my TSH goes more than a point off, I start feeling tired. My doc tends to think that if it is 'in range', all is wonderful but for my body, it is not so I try to keep it as close to my normal 2.5 as possible.

If it is not his thyroid, has he tried vitamins? I was put on a heavy dose of vitamins and zinc immediately after radiation and took them for 10+ years until last summer when they started running straight through me. Now I only take a Centrum once day.

What's his doc got to say on this? I don't remember anyone suffering fatigue that long after radiation.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Eileen #73579 04-24-2008 07:32 AM

I don't have that level of fatigue, but three years out of radiation, I am still not nearly back to the level of energy I had pre-radiation. I figure I may never get back there since some of it may be just what comes with aging anyway, but I would like just a little more. If I have a very full workday, I'm pretty exhausted when I get home.

I wonder how your husband is sleeping at night. I usually wake up several times with a very painfully dry mouth and that is even when I am sleeping next to a humidifier turned on to max humidity! Basically, I don't think when I sleep it is as restful as preradiation because of the level of discomfort I experience at night. I think this may account for some of my sense of still dealing with fatigue at times during the day.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Nelie #73585 04-24-2008 09:51 AM

I only recently finished treatment, but I was tired - alot - until recently. I'm not back to the energy I had when I was 20-something, but I have hope that I'll get there in the next few months!

My GP increased my anti-depressive, that didn't help.
My HN surgeon said it was lingering 'radiation hangover'....okay . . . .

At my last checkup, I asked my GP to check my thyroid, cholesterol, etc and she did a full panel. She found my vitamin D was really low and she said that was what was making me tired. She said our bodies make less as we get older. Given my new cancer history, sunlight as a treatment is out of the question.

She gave me a prescription version of vitamin D and it is amazing. I take it once a week for 13 weeks, then once a month for life. In 4 weeks, I have seen such a dramatic improvement. I didn't realize how tired and exhausted I really was until I started feeling better. My mom has suffered from exhaustion from time to time (and she does have thyroid issues) but nothing, including the thyroid meds, have gotten her back to her previous energy levels. She's getting hers checked this week.

Vitamin D levels might be worth looking into.

*not all vitamin D is the same - your physician can tell you what type would be best for you, if you need it.

08/24/07 Dx at age 44 never smoker, occasional drink
T1N0M0 G2
09/06/07 partial glossectomy(rt),neck disection (rt) 32 nodes clear
12/05/07 35 RTx w/boost, 63 GY, finished
12/28/09 PET/CT all clear!!
12/19/11 check-up, all clear - 4 years cancer-free now !!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics