Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#73084 04-15-2008 07:51 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi all,
Ok i have an odd question and i'm not sure i will be able to describe this properly but i will try.

for the last three days i have been getting a very odd sensation both corners of my jaw the best way to describe it is ...... pre treatment/cancer days if i was to eat something sour i would get this kind of tingling pain in my jaw right underneath both of my ears and my mouth would water. So the last three days i started to get the same feeling all the time if i press there on both side of my mouth it feels as if my mouth is trying to water...does that make sense?

has anyone else felt anything like this? and do you think it could be my saliva glands healing?...i am of course praying thats what it is.

thanks for reading...Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I've felt that same sensation occasionally. I am hoping that it is the salivary glands trying to regenerate, but my saliva is still not back to normal or even near normal. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.

Hi again...I just sent you a PM. Hope to hear back from you. Will look in my PM inbox!

Nine years out. New normal with limitations, but surviving and living life to the fullest.
OP Offline

Hey i just replied hope it helps let me know.

I'm like you no saliva yet at all but fingers crossed right.

Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!

Thanks for the PM. I sent you one back.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

auntypebbles,
I would suggest that the sensation is your salivary glands trying to produce saliva. When you smell and taste your brain activates the salivary glands to produce saliva. Sour tastes like lemon are the most powerful stimulators of saliva glands. In front of your ears and in your cheeks lie the largest salivary glands the Parotid glands.
I would suggest that this tingling sensation is a very positive indicator that your parotid glands are trying to regenerate some of their saliva producing ability.
I hope this is helpful,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
OP Offline

Oh Mike thank you bunches yep that was more than useful, it is getting worse so much so i am having to hold my face a lot from the pain...I'm not moaning it's great

will keep you posted on any real changes.

Tank you again. Debz

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I also developed severe pain in my left jaw when biting down on something. My doc said it was rare but what I have is called "first bite syndrome". I usually have to clinch my teeth because the pain is so severe. The more sour something is the more it hurts. Im not sure if it will go away or not but I am sure its some of the most intense pain I have ever felt.

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07

yes! U have too lately. I do feel like m saliva has improved a bit smile

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311