Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lisa Lisa #69990 02-17-2008 04:55 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Lisa,

Maybe I'm saying the obvious but I think you need to give your throat a rest. I know when I had laryngitis as a kid my doctor told me that if I talked a lot I might do permanent damage so I didn't. See if you can be temporarily assigned different duties until it gets better all by itself?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #69994 02-17-2008 07:47 AM

David - As much as I hate to admit it, I know you're right. I was so anxious to get back to "normal," so I went back to work starting with just 4 hours a day, then 6, then 8 over a 3-week period. I'll be seeing my RO tomorrow and will discuss it with her. She probably won't be happy as she didn't want me to go back to work full-time until I put on some more weight. I had dropped down to 98 pounds (lost about 15 pounds). I've put on about 5 pounds with the help of an appetite stimulant. Like I said, I just wanted to be normal again, and going back to work has been really good for me.

Lisa - Diagnosed 8/14/07 with Stage 1 metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, unknown primary, most likely nasopharyngeal, status post 2 surgeries, completing 6 weeks IMRT radiation on 11/26/07.
Lisa Lisa #70017 02-18-2008 03:31 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Yeah we all want that normal stuff to surround us and put us in that comfort zone again so we rush to prove to everyone and ourself that we are "back" but that can be harmful and actually slow our recovery down but hey we're human and that's the way we're programmed. Looking back I know I rushed things to heal my mental side probably to the detriment of the physical side. But as they say, other people's problems are easier to solve.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Lisa Lisa #70024 02-18-2008 04:58 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi - John's voice also became rough and raspy during the last 2 weeks of treatment and it was hard for him to speak. It stayed that way for a few weeks post treatment and after which his voice got stronger has he began to heal. It did remain about an octave lower for 2 months or so ( might be different for men and women) but now - over 2 years post treatment - it's pretty much back to normal.

Caregiver for John SCC left tonsil Stage III/IV dx Sept 05, tx started Oct 21/05 -IMRT 35, cisplatin 3 X 100mg/m2;completed Dec08/05.
x28007 #70388 02-22-2008 11:21 PM

I haven't had a voice since October, I had a polyp removed from my vocal chord and went on voice rest and it just never came back lol. I can whisper but it's because of where the tumour in my throat is. I start radiotherapy next week too so my speech therapist said that she doesn't really want to start working on it until that's finished but I can't wait to have it back! Although it's going to be weird using a proper voice as I'm so used to whispering!

Hayley, 19.
Diagnosed at 18 with cancer of the larynx (T4n2) on 20.11.07
Taxotere, cisplatin and 5FU x 3, carboplatin x 7 and 35 radiotherapy treatments
Found out I am in remission on 21.08.08

www.kickingcancersarse.blogspot.com
x28007 #72399 04-04-2008 03:09 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi there! I'm Lyn and am/was/will be again a singer who had tongue cancer. i lost 2/3 of the left side of my tongue, had a reconstruction from a flap from my wrist/6 weeks yukky radation (Big Mac with the works) BUT although it was a bit scratchy for a while, my voice is fine. My Op was on Nov 12 last year 2007 and it only took a few weeks after that silly trach and nose tube feeding me, was removed (after much sooking from me)for me to see hear and feel an improvement. The ONLY difference I can notice (apart from the fact i have a little trouble with my "s's" and my "sh's" sound like "sch's' but they are getting better daily. However, get this...I cough differently...kind of lighter...I really want to do a big deep chest cough but its comes out like 'kaff kaff' (VERY polite) Also, and please excuse me before I say tis but I used to delight in my truckie burps!!(as you will know if you read a few posts of mine, i dont hold back)..my burps used to be legendary (esp coke ones) now they are SO wimpy its more embarrasing...they are now like little..."urp's" hahah (NOONE laughs and I quietly say oooh pardon me"...dreaming of the days I could silence a lunch room watching people trying to guess who could have POSSIBLY done a burp that King Kong would have been proud of! hahah.I LOOK innocent enough but l used to like having that secret vice up my sleeve to shock people who were pretending to be who I knew they werent! hahah.
Anyway, try not to worry, stress also tightens up your vocal cords. The tubes going down the back of your throat (to feed you) plus the trach (grr) would have scratched your throat.
My voice will be fine and I have no doubt I WILL sing again (despite several surgeons telling me I wouldnt (dont tell me I cant do something or Im like a kid...I WILL go and do it to spite them!). You may also have a thrush infection in your mouth (which I did) too ...but please dont take my word for it ask the good ole onc if you do and/or to give you something for it. I coughed..no 'kaffed" a bit when i had one of those and the doc just gave me nilsadt(sp?) which cleared it. Try also steaming your throat with warm water (NOTHING in the water like eucalyptus it as tempting is it seems...remember..im a singer) Maybe also get yourself a humidifier for your house or at least bedroom...you can hire them in OZ from the Pharmacies for almost nothing and that will help you when you sleep.
Hope all this has at least helped a little bit. just remember (as my friends here have reminded me when I was freaking out about one thing or another) it does take a while as it is such an unusual operation. We are lucky...ten years ago...maybe less...our voices would be the least of our worries...we would have left this life and been well ensconced in the next trying to sing with the Angels with our lisps and raspy voices! eeek!
Love and take care Lyn x

Tongue Cancer SCC Removal of 2/3 of right side tongue, neck disection-34 lymph nodes removed. flap for new tongue made from left wrist in 2007. Now (mid 2011) speech has been back to normal since early 2009, and Im back working as a singer. So far so good!
2016... Still cancer free! Yay.
hayleymcbayley #72401 04-04-2008 03:26 AM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

ME again...Im sorry, I misread your post at first...but i think i can still help you. I also had Polyps and Nodules over ten years back and had my vocal cords STRIPPED (without my permission as the surgeon took it upon himself to not wake me up thinking it is what I would have wanted grr). It did take a while to come back UNTIL I found a great speech therapist...but yep, do wait til after the radio. All the things I just mentioned in my last post apply...esp the vocal steamer...get one right away...you will notice a difference. I have been singing professionally (full time...yep...its my real job haha) for well over ten years SINCE my cords were stripped right up until my tongue op (AFTER the first op on my vocal cords) DONT let anyone tell you your voice is "as good as its gonna get"...it gets better everyday even just a little bit that you dont even notice... and try and find a singers speech therapist (a good vocal and/or music school will help you)..Breathing excersises are also good to heal your vocal chords and throat. BTW try to write more...whispering can do more damage as frustrating as it is...try and aim for one day a week where you just write your answers. People who love you will help you more than you think...get a white board to carry around. Give your voice a really good rest and you will soon see the difference. BTW I agree with your radiotherapist...just wait...its only time...and it will FLY. Email me if you need more support and hints. Just listen to your Drs and the VERY wise people on here...they have been through EVERYTHING and more and will help you through this...publically or privately...whichever you prefer. There is so much support and love here it is mindblowing!
Again love and take care and dont worry! Lyn

Tongue Cancer SCC Removal of 2/3 of right side tongue, neck disection-34 lymph nodes removed. flap for new tongue made from left wrist in 2007. Now (mid 2011) speech has been back to normal since early 2009, and Im back working as a singer. So far so good!
2016... Still cancer free! Yay.
LynfromOz #72407 04-04-2008 04:49 AM

I agree with Lyn. I finally realized that even talking on the telephone made my mouth hurt much more than normal, so I asked everyone not to call me. I call them and it's much better on my mouth and under my tongue. After a few days ZI feel much better by not talking so much. LOL My jaws have motors it seems and go nonstop.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users