Next Thread
Print Thread
#72144 03-30-2008 02:20 PM
Geo Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello,

This is my first time using this. I appreciate any and all help that can be given to me/my dad.

My dad has been recently dx with Stage IV squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth involving 4 lymph nodes. He has recently (Jan 08) undergone surgical removal of the mandible and lymph nodes and currently doing radiation tx (finished 12 treatments of 33). First he had scar tissue in the left cheek which caused swelling on the left side. Now this swelling has left the check and is in the throat area. He describes the feeling of having broken bottles pieces moving in the throat area. It is particularly uncomfortable when he talks alot. Help! Has anyone gone through the same or similiar experience that can help my dad. Thank you.

Anxious caregiver.
Squamous cell ca cheek/jawbone/mandible/Stage IV positive lymph nodes.Surgery, Jan 08. Removal of cheek,removal of lymph nodes.Currently undergoing week4 of radiation treatment--to receive 33 treatment in all.Takes Fenyl patch and hydromorphine.
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Geo,

Is your dad on any pain meds? Does he have a peg tube for feeding and medication? Could you put more information in your signature field where you have Anxious caregiver? Have you contacted your doctors about the symptoms he is having? There are a lot of people on this forum that can help out more if they had more information to go on.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Geo: Hello and welcome to OCF. You've come to the right place; there are many here who will be happy to help you and your family get through this difficult period.
As you can see below in my 'signature', my hubby (Buzz) had similiar surgery, followed by IMRT & chemo.
Buzz has also suffered many of the complications you describe. Two words for your father: Pain Management
The situation MAY get worse before it gets better, at least it did in Buzz' case. Oxycodone gave him some relief, but time has been the greatest healer for him.
Hang with us, ask questions and read, read read! We're here for you...
Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Geo Offline OP
OP Offline

This is my first time using this. I appreciate any and all help that can be given to me/my dad.

My dad has been recently dx with Stage IV squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth involving 4 lymph nodes. He has recently (Jan 08) undergone surgical removal of the mandible and lymph nodes and currently doing radiation tx (finished 12 treatments of 33). First he had scar tissue in the left cheek which caused swelling on the left side. Now this swelling has left the check and is in the throat area. He describes the feeling of having broken bottles pieces moving in the throat area. It is particularly uncomfortable when he talks alot. Help! Has anyone gone through the same or similiar experience that can help my dad. Thank you.

Anxious caregiver
P.S. My dad is 63 years old. He has Stage IV squamous cell carcinoma. He is currently undergoing radiation treatment at Memorial Sloan Hospital(had 13 treatments thus far). Chemo was offered in conjunction but refused. He takes oxycodone for pain management and also percocet (when pain is really bad). He has spoken to doctors regarding pain but they think it is just the scar tissue moving around. As I stated earlier, my father describes it as broken glass moving around in throat area. This scar tissue/lump moved from cheek to the throat area. Pain medication is not really working because like my father said it is an unexplainable pain/discomfort that causes him to shiver at times. Any info would be appreciated.

Anxious caregiver.
Squamous cell ca cheek/jawbone/mandible/Stage IV positive lymph nodes.Surgery, Jan 08. Removal of cheek,removal of lymph nodes.Currently undergoing week4 of radiation treatment--to receive 33 treatment in all.Takes Fenyl patch and hydromorphine.

Maybe you should ask the doctor about a pain patch. They come in different doses and last about 5 days at a time. I had them but forget what they are called. I was on the pain patch and used Oxycodone and percocet for break through pain. Based on my experience and what I have read here, around the third week of radiation is when a lot of the side effects kick in - loss of taste, build up of mucous, mouth sores, pain increasing, tiredness. I believe there needs to be better pain management between the Dr and your Dad. Also, he may want to take a stool softener along with his pain medication. Pain medication can cause serious constipation. I bought stool softener pills up at Walmart and took them daily.

Does your dad have a peg tube? How does he eat? How is he doing eating and getting proper nutrition? Has he lost a lot of weight? Getting nutrition is very important to the recovery and healing process.

Tom
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
treatment ended 08/23/07

Geo,
The name of that patch I was talking about for pain was called a Fentanyl Patch. It comes in different doses. At one point I was on 50 mcg patches and when I was weening myself off of them I was down to 12.5 mcg. I wore the patches and when the pain got out of hand I would take the oxycodone or percocet.

Tom
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
treatment ended 08/23/07
Geo Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. I actually heard about that patch from another patient I know who had breast cancer. The doctor said he felt my dad probably didn't need it and it is usually prescibed by the pain management team. I think I will make an appointment to see pain management.

Anxious caregiver.
Geo Offline OP
OP Offline

Today they started my father on some more pain medication. It is Oxcodone HCL ER plus he intermittently will take oxycodone. If this does not alleviate the pain, they will look into giving him the pain patch.

Thanks to all who suggested this.

Anxious caregiver.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23