Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71527 03-14-2008 09:15 PM
Blossom Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi!! My name is blossom, i have two kids alex (5yrs old) n miguel (1 yr 6 mos), I'm turning 35 yrs old this march 28. I underwent a total right parotidectomy last March 6 and sad to say the histopathologic diagnosis:muco-epidermoid carcinoma, intermediate grade (1.5 CM). I'm from the Philippines, I had my FNAB result last may 2007 and its benign. Is it really possible that FNAB and biopsy result of the actual tumor really different? I do not know what will happen next or totally i have no idea of what to think? All I know is that I'm trying to brave and using the positive power and will that i'm going to be fine for my family. I'm not used of emails internet but i'm trying because i wanted to feel i'm not alone with the fact that my husband is just starting to work abroad. Thanks for the OCF!!

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi: Blossom
My name is Adele and I have also had mucoepidermoid carcinoma, intermediate grade, my tumour was located in my submandibular gland, I had a neck dissection in May 2006. I understand what you are are going through emotionlly and physically. I hope you will continue to be optimistic and if you were told it is benign go with that, I don't think they would say if it were not. Also, it really does not matter, if they took it out and you got clear margins then you are just fine anyway. I am now almost two years away from my surgery and I see my onclogist now every 4 months and as far as I am concerned, I am done with that cancer stuff! Living my life althtough it is different is still a joy!!
There is some great information on this website about mucoepidermoid carcinoma.
Best of Luck to you.
Adele

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

FNB's are very reliable, but remember that they are collecting cell samples from a very small area. Multiple punctures in various areas of a node for instance are necessary to ensure that representative material from throughout the node is collected. This is the only shortcoming of FNB, the operator may not collect enough cells, from enough sites, to be absolutely sure that the sample is completely representative.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23