Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

French Toast also. Loaded with butter and syprp. Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Debbie.... wow pancakes american style? i was going to try english ones thinking as they are thinner they might be better?, i love american pancakes pre treatment with strawberry syrup oh yummmmmm.
had my soup again today this one was chucky veg with ham i managed to eat some of the ham too it was really easy to eat but it was smoked and i dont like smoked meat so i might try some soup with steak in it see how i go with that.

Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
OP Offline

OOo Eileen sounds good, now when you say french toast is that bread dipped in eggs and fried?

Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

My recipe for french toast:

3 eggs, 2 cups milk, teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon

wisk eggs and milk with the vanilla then dip your bread in it and put in a buttered pan, sprinkle cinnamon on it and fry

then load it with lots of butter and syrup, yum!!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Debz, how did you do this past week with eating? I had a very hard time learning to eat again--choosing nutrition that didn't hurt! My docs said to coordinate it with my pain meds; so take a pain reliever and then eat, which takes advantage of the med's properties.

For specific food ideas, my all-time favorite was milkshakes! Yogurt was great. Because I didn't have my taste buds back to normal yet, I didn't have the tastey satisfaction, and it was hard to make myself WANT to eat. What's your favorite cheese that melts well? Using that, have a nice soft omelet--with mashed potatoes on the side!! And macaroni and cheese! Get out the cheese, olive oil, and cream, everybody! Debz coming to eat with us!!!

Make it fun!! For exmple, you might ask each person you're close to make something bland and soft, or give you a recipe. If you're up to it, you could have a "Soft Pot Luck" to celebrate your new status as an eater and to say thank you in person to all who have helped you thus far on your journey. You can always use egg substitutes which are TOTALLY healthy, if you're concerned about cholesterol. That'll compensate for the cheese :-) Am I guessing right that you'd like to put a little weight on while you're at it?

I apologize that I haven't read all of your posts, friend. I probably should already know the answer to the question above. However, I only just jumped into the ocf forum last week, so I've been concentrating on the "Active Topics" heading--I'd like to help my fellow "cancer colleagues" as the new needs arise.

Please let us know how our suggestions are working in your menu! With me, friends and family were actually envious (only of this ONE situation, though) that I could eat milkshakes all day, if I wanted to. It'll be year next month since my PEG was removed, and I am thrilled to say I can eat almost anything I want. Still use a lot of liquids and have dry mouth sometimes, and this is just fine with me!!! My weight has finally come up from 103 to 125, too, which is just right. It all takes time, and progress does happen! So happy eating, and may your enjoyment of food return in full force :-)

You are in our prayers, and I'll think of you especially every time I eat now. So lots of good thoughts are coming your way!

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!
OP Offline

Christine i am going to try that recipe tomorrow sounds yum i hope i can do it.

Hi Carol, grin i had my best week yet eating wise i cant believe i found a solid food i can eat im loving it....for me i dont have pain problems any more my thing now is no saliva thats causing all my problems, i love your idea about a party i did just make everyone some cookies as a thank you for helping me through they went over really well plus i have never beena cookie lover so i didnt care that i couldnt eat them...LOL

pre treatment my most loved foods where fresh bread and cheese in all combinations...bagel cream cheese...cheese and onion sandwiches...right now i cant eat either of them they are too sticky for me so i am really missing them, my fav cheese that melts is sharp cheddar love that on toast.mmmmmmmm

i am doing ok weight wise i was very over weight pre treatment so loosing 46lbs so far has made me look great...typical right crazy i have a spare 15lbs on me right now i wouldnt mind loosing ;)(my hubby doesnt agree) but im not concerned with weight just getting all the nutrition i need so i can loose the peg tube.

we are going to get a slow cooker tomorrow so i can make my own stews that way i can make a big pot eat all day and change it up just untill i can eat bread and cheese again.i will let you know what recipes i use and what works for me.

really nice to read you...Debz

Last edited by auntypebbles; 02-28-2008 01:53 PM.

Add some healthy blueberries to those American pancakes once the season starts.

I use 1 tablespoon of milk per egg. Never thought to add vanilla. That sounds delicious. I made it this weekend and 3 eggs made 10 slices of peppridge farm bread. How many slices dose your receipe make Chris and what brand of bread do you use?

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------

Eileen:

Sorry, I forgot to say that 3 eggs makes a ton of it. My recipe can be cut down, its not exact cuz I dont measure when I cook. I would make a big batch for me and my 2 teenagers, my guess is 12-15 peices of bread. The best is texas toast bread you can get at any major grocery store. I prefer that kind, but since I struggle now opening my mouth and swallowing I use Maiers Italian bread.

Another good thing for eggs is scrambled soft with cheese. I add a little milk or 1/2 and 1/2 to make the eggs fluffier. I also just discovered Dannon fruit smoothies 10oz has 260 calories. I never thought I would have to count calories and the more the better.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I scramble my eggs with a Tablespoon of heavy cream per egg and lots of butter. I don't measure the butter, just cut off pieces and put in whisked up eggs. Could be as much as a tablespoon per egg. Lots of calories. If you really want to get indulgent, add some white or black truffle butter.

I think we ought to be adding these to recipe section. Oh well.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
OP Offline

oh man you are all so fab....i am so hungry i have had all my shakes (sorry for not mentioning the smoothies christine) yeah they are a really good calorie filler although i dont like the taste too much, i had to go shopping today for clothes i cant believe i am in a size 4 i have to stop there though thats small enough i am 5'8". so im off to make some scambled eggs(i call fluffy eggs)it would be a great idea to put them in the recipe section for everyone they sound so good.

I couldnt eat the pancakes i got aunt jemima ones with blueberry syrup and loads of butter still too dry for me but i will keep trying...

pepperidge farm bread i might try that i was using potatoe bread not had much luck with it or i had thought about hawian (i know thats spelt wrong) but i think it has more butter in it right?

thanks again debz

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics