Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pete60 #69646 02-10-2008 07:46 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I have found that because I no longer can eat grilled cheese or even a sandwhich , No chocolate and the (goodstuff) I used to eat that I am really eating healthier. Yeah I miss that cheeseburger aND french fries but I still enjoy mac and cheese, only a little soupier then normal. Have gone from chicken breast to chicken thighs becasue the thighs are moister. I have thrown away moe food in the past few months then I ever have. I am going to golden corral for dinner tommorrow night guess what they have so many different foods that I can try every thing and not feel bad if I can't eat one thing and still get my moneys worth. Don't get discouraged, Just keep trying things. Oh yeah do keep your water real close. Good Luck, Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Pete60 #69979 02-16-2008 08:26 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

As gdavies mentioned above, whipped cream on stuff makes it more readily edible. I have not had any whipped cream during my treatment. However, for some reason we had a can on the house now and I put some in my coffee.
Turns out the whipped cream is very soothing, especially when the mouth is irritated after eating crumbly things. I have been using small amounts for the past week to oil/neutralize my mouth. (It is probably not a good idea to consume the stuff by the can full. On the other hand most of us could use the extra calories).
In the last couple of days my taste has improved in what seems to be a jump, but this is probably not related. Finally, french fries and even a steak begin to taste as they should!! (albeit not for very long) and the texture of the french fries is still a bit of an issue.

I guess the take home message is: experiment! And!!! also periodically try things again.

As far as restaurants are concerned:
Some planning helps. It helps to spread things out a bit.
If you have a soup and a dessert (creme brule, tiramusu, pudding etc) then the main course is less important and you get away with eating less. Even then pasta, (ravioli) works well as does mashed potatoes meatloaf, salmon etc.

.... and once in a while things just do not work out. We were invited to an indian restaurant along with several other people by the gastroenterologist who inserted my peg. So far so good, the problem was that he did all the ordering........ while I used to like moderately spicy food there is no way that I could tolerate now. So I had some bread and rice and pushed some food around on my plate...... This would not have been an issue at all if in this particular case it would not have been improper to order for yourself.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
Pete60 #70526 02-24-2008 09:52 PM

Try try try everything. The dogs will love you and the cats will too. I have thrown away more food in the past few months then I ever have. I don't even try cheese anylonger and forget white bread. I don't go to burger king or Mcdonalds anylonger BUT KFC here I come. I get two chicken thighs (used to have white meat but now is too dry) green beans and macaroni and cheese with gravy over it. I soak my chicken in the gravy as well. I try to eat the bisquit but thiers are not as good as mine so I don't fight that. Yes smaller bites are a real good thing. ANd my mom suggested that I drink my ensure or boost with my meals instead of water so I can get the viatimns as welll because as we all know we don't get enough real food when we have to drink so much water. Don't give up just keep picking it really does get better. Good luck, Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics