Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#70284 02-21-2008 09:14 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have all the risk factors for oral cancer, practically all of them. I drink, I just quit smoking recently, I was diagnosed with genital HPV back in 2000 and I think I acquired it orally at that same time, I rarely eat vegetables, and cancer runs in my family. My grandfather actually died from throat cancer.

At the time I got genital HPV my tonsils swelled up, I got a referral to an ENT, I told him my concerns, he looked in my mouth and told me I was fine. He said it's normal for tonsils to look that way, I asked for a biopsy, he said there was nothing to biopsy.

I looked up oral HPV online and everything I read said it was very hard to get, so I decided to listen to the doctor and just forget about it. Well recently I've been reading new information and it says that oral HPV is not uncommon and is the leading cause of cancer among young people.

I looked in my mouth the other day, checking out my tooth I just had a root canal done on, and I noticed a red bump on my uvula... you know that hangy-ball thing in the back of your throat. I'm FREAKING out. My throat is also sore and has been on and off all winter... I thought maybe it was just the dry weather, but now I am really worried. My chest also keeps hurting on and off. I'm afraid the HPV turned into oropharynx cancer and then that spread to my lungs.

I have an appt. with my primary care doctor Monday to get a referral to an ENT, but I can't stop freaking out until then!

I'm also very angry that the ENT didn't do a biopsy when I asked 8 yrs. ago, there doesn't have to be a wart present in order to find HPV right? I mean they do PAP smears on your cervix and find it when there's no warts. He just didn't want to do it and now I could be dying. My throat hurts as we speak and I am so upset. I touched the spot in my mouth with a q-tip, nothing happened... no bleeding. And now my chest is starting to hurt again!

Also, I was just at the endodontist, why didn't he notice the red spot? Aren't they supposed to look for that stuff or is it just regular dentists that do that? Or do they only look for it when you ask them to?

Please help!

bw008 #70293 02-22-2008 02:45 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

bw,

The first thing you need to do is calm way down. None of us here are going to be able to diagnose you so to ease your anxiety get to a qualified ENT and let the process run it's course. As long as I've been associated with this cancer I don't ever remember a case where the cancer has gone from the mouth (primary) to a distant met (lungs) without first lodging in the lymph nodes in the neck on one or perhaps both sides. Anyway it doesn't matter what I think or say because I'm not qualified to assess your situation. Just get to that ENT ASAP and lets see what happens.

Good luck and remember we have a saying around here that it's not cancer until it's confirmed as cancer which is usually by a biopsy.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #70370 02-22-2008 04:03 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I agree that you need to stay calm and hopefully see the ENT soon. It is likely that you are fine, but express your concerns to all your doctors. I wish I had been more concerned. By the way, did your tonsils stay swollen, or did they go down eventually?

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
girlcat36 #70385 02-22-2008 08:23 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies... I know you can't diagnose me, I guess I am just looking for people to tell me I am fine, but of course no one really can know at this point. My tonsils are still swollen. I remember on more than one occasion a doctor or dentist sayin wow those are some tonsils you got there... but then when I ask they say it's normal... ok...

Well tomorrow I will call my GP and see if there's been any cancellations so I can go in tomorrow instead of Monday for my referral. I will see what he can do for me there... maybe GPs can do biopsies? I also want an x-ray since my chest has been hurting. If he could do that I guess I wouldn't even need an ENT, but I doubt he could.

I just don't want to die so soon... you know I've pretty much always been a depressed person and I used to always say that if I knew I would go to a better place when I died, I'd kill myself in a second... well now I have a 6 month old son, and I realize I don't want to die anymore...

Thanks for the support.

bw008 #70386 02-22-2008 10:52 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I know its easy to get thinking bad thoughts when you are worried about something that you aren't sure of. The thing is that more than likely - you just have a cold or the flu.... but honestly I know how you feel. It is hard to trust doctors opinions 100% espcially if you feel like something is off/wrong.

You are right to be vigilant about your health and getting second and third opinions especially with your risk factors... however don't freak yourelf out about it- just push forward with your appointments and wait to hear what the Drs/ENT say. Demand biopsies scans etc whatever you need to answer any doubts you have in your head- but also don't make yourself miserable and worried about it either. I know that is tough smile

I was misdiagnosed for several months before I was finally referred to an ENT so I think your being adament about being thorough is a good thing - just don't spiral. Get lots of rest this weekend and just relax-- stress can make you sicker than anything else.

K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
misskate #70409 02-23-2008 06:33 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Look--regarding your tonsils, since they are BOTH swollen it is less likely to be cancer. Tonsil canser usually presents with ONE swollen tonsil.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
girlcat36 #70456 02-23-2008 08:29 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

If you had had tonsillar cancer 8 years ago and it was untreated until now, you would likely be dead. If he can't see anything to biopsy... what would you have liked him to do? Just cut random pieces off your tonsils, hoping that he hit the jackpot? That would be illogical, painful, and probably malpractice. No one can see an HPV infection in your mouth and there is no way to test for it right now, so no one missed doing anything in your mouth as it related to testing for HPV. A very expensive PCR test would have to be done (genetic testing) and even with that it wouldn't mean that you were going to get an oral cancer. Not all people that get HPV get cancer. You've gone from swollen tonsils to lung cancer in two posts, and talked about death. Think about that. You need to reign in your emotional side until you get some answers, and don't jump to the worst possible situation so early in the game.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #70460 02-24-2008 03:12 AM

I have an idea your chest is hurting from so many things going on in your brain. Worry will bring on chest pain they can mimic a heart problem. Yes I have been there, and experienced the same type of pain. Do your best to relax a little and wait for a professional opinion.Yep, it's hard to do, but very possible. good luck and I will pray for you.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #70465 02-24-2008 03:43 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I have a sister that worried herself and read herself into having multiple heart problems. She was searching for it because it runs in our family. Cancer runs through our family deeply. I have lost a brother and my dad to it. I knew it was a matter of time before another member of our family came down with it, we all watched for different signs. It ws no surprise for me to find mine. I thought at first it was thrush but it wouldn't go away. No sore throat was involved, no pain as a matter of fact. I did a search on the internet for oral disease and found the thing in my mouth. Denail made me wait three years before fessing up that I had it. Thank God it ws slow in growing. After the biopsy and 33 treatment (radiation) my reports are coming back good. Try to stop worring because until the Dr says one way or the other just try to figure its not there. Good luck, Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Lepreckaun #71711 03-20-2008 01:08 PM
bw008 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the responses. I finally had my biopsy Tuesday, but I don't have the results yet, he said they might be in tomorrow or early next week.

I'm freakin' out a little bit over here. He said it didn't look like cancer or a papilloma... but I think he just doesn't think so cuz it's not that common to get cancer at my age and it's supposedly very rare to get HPV in your throat.. but he doesn't know strange and rare things tend to happen to me.

I should be taking a nap right now while the baby sleeps instead of worrying... I conveniently developed a cold a day before my biopsy and so they are just worsening each other... it's really not that bad though, I've had sore throats worse than this.

My uvula looks so weird right now... looks like a slash where they pulled the thing out and white tissue around it. I hope the doctor is right and it's just a benign growth, but I really doubt it, I will be shocked if that's all it is. And isn't that just as rare at 26? I've never heard of anyone I know developing this... I don't think I'll be able to deal if it's cancer. You guys are so strong, I am so weak... I almost chickened out of the biopsy! I was in there shaking, almost had a panic attack... how would I handle REAL surgery and chemo and all that?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics