Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68348 01-24-2008 02:21 PM
OP Offline

Hello everyone
just wanted to say that my friend June will begin treatment at long last next tuesday. She is having three rounds of the chemo cisplatin, possibly two he said and six weeks of radiation. They told her if she needs a peg then they will do if needed. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the cisplatin? She is so thin and always has been, I just worry how the chemo and radiation will affect her. I still can't get her to read on this site. I just feel she is not prepared for what could be ahead on her journey to recovery. Wishing everyone the very best.

scotslass

Scotslass,friend of June, diagnosed in Oct.2007 and beginning treatment this month chemo and radiation.Cancer in the neck with unknown primary...wrapped around carotid artery.
scotslass #68382 01-25-2008 03:12 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

scotslass,

My first Cis was a no event side effect wise but the last 2 kicked my butt. Nausea was the main culprit but I had also had many more rad Txs under my belt so I don't know if it was the combination of the 2 or not. Also watch out for the ringing in the ears and tell the doctor IMMEDIATELY if your friend even THINKS he hears ringing in the ear. I didn't and I now have permanent high frequency hearing loss which may have been avoided.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #68419 01-25-2008 03:54 PM
OP Offline

David
thank you for the response, they did tell her there could be hearing loss but did not mention ringing in the ears, I will be sure to tell her though. Even though she is pretty tough I worry about the radiation effects too as they are going to do the larynx as well as the neck. But you and many others on this board are such an inspiration.

scotslass

Scotslass,friend of June, diagnosed in Oct.2007 and beginning treatment this month chemo and radiation.Cancer in the neck with unknown primary...wrapped around carotid artery.
scotslass #68435 01-25-2008 09:21 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Scotslass where are you from?
I am from Dunoon on the west coast about half an hour downriver from Glasgow.
My Hubby is a scouser from Liverpool and we have lived over here since 1980... I said I would come for a year,,,ha!
Try to get her to bulk up before she starts her treatment because she will lose a lot of weight.
I also found that after treatment was finished that Pete would get terrible cramps in his neck....so try and get her to exeercise he neck as often as possible.
We ended up in hospital for 3 weeks after peter started his chemo becuase he was not drinking enough and got dehydrated.... that was a scary time, we nearly lost him because he picked up an infection while in hospital. The staff used to laugh at me because between my daughter and I we sterilsed his room and would let no one in till they washed their hands and put on gloves, doc`s included.
Iremember one time he had the hiccups for 3 days and finally an administrator came in to visit and said " why have they not given him some ( heres where I forget, but it WAS something they used to give horses!) sure enough within 20 mins the hiccups were gone ... I could have kissed her!
Your Friend is lucky to have you but don`t get too caught up in all of this remember to find some quiet time for yourself you are going to need it ... it`s hard being the brave one all the time.

Take Cara
Marica

Last edited by marica_e; 01-25-2008 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!
marica_e #68439 01-26-2008 01:19 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I can't believe they didn't mention the ringing in the ear thing but they should have and I would discuss this more with the MO. Mine said if he had known he would have switched me to Carboplatin which he said is just as good as Cisplatin but without the bad side effect. Don't ask me why I wasn't put on Carbo to begin with as I'm still mulling over his response to that question.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
marica_e #68482 01-26-2008 02:34 PM
OP Offline

Hi Marcia
many thanks for the response and the tips, I will be sure to tell her. I think she might have a problem with the weight issue as she is so skinny now, she eats big helpings of food but has always been thin. I had hiccups for two years after chemo, always appeared when I would start eating, only last minutes though.

I am from Edinburgh and visited Dunoon a couple of times. I was home on a visit last year. I have been here since the sixties!!! But still have my accent. I am in Louisanna now and my friend lives here too but is getting her treatment at MDA in Houston, she has a daughter there. She is from Montrose!!! I am glad your husband is doing well, did he have treatment in Georgia? Where was his cancer? Take care and hope to hear from you again.

Shirley

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23