Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
rosie Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

okay, the lunkhead is back.

I apologize to those who have already donated. I assume your donations do not count toward the goal because I did not first create a "badge". They do, however, go to Brian and OCF. And they do count towards a lesser prize of $1,000.

I am so sorry for not getting this right the first time. But here is the link to use to make sure your donations count in the Parade Challenge:

http://www.networkforgood.org/pca/Badge.aspx?BadgeId=110252

Brian, I wanted to use the OCF logo for the badge, but didn't want to waste time getting permission from you. With time being of the essence, I just used Heather's photo. Didn't know what else to use.

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
rosie Offline OP
OP Offline

Jim,

I am sorry, but they don't take checks. You have to pay either by credit card or by PayPal.

They do have something called a Good Card that you can use to pay, but I have no idea how you fund the card.

Last edited by rosie; 01-22-2008 11:13 AM. Reason: more info added

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

well hopefully Rosie you can figure this out.. I did go through that link but now i am wondering if it went through right. See I wasnt sure if one person needed to create a badge and we all donated to that or if we could donate directly.. Now I am confused..

Was Primary caregiver to my mom who had stage IV, SCC, Supraglottic with Mets to 4 nodes. Diagnosed Feb 04, died unexpectedly from complications from treatment December 17, 2004.
rosie Offline OP
OP Offline

Karen,

I messed up. I should have created a badge first and everyone should have donated through it.

Your donation does go to OCF and it does count toward a smaller prize, but for the $50,000, I guess it has to go through my badge.

I AM SO SORRY.

I was so excited to see this and so dismayed to see that there were only 11 days left that I jumped the gun and didn't read the rules.

For anyone who would like to donate, this is the correct link:

rosie Offline OP
OP Offline

Everyone,

This is a sample email if anyone would like to forward this info.

You would have to edit it to remove my personal info, but hopefully, it can be a start:

Dear friends,

The Sunday News Magazine, Parade and The Case Foundation are hosting a Charity donation Challenge. The charities that have the MOST PEOPLE DONATE will get an extra $50,000 from the Case Foundation. I believe it is only the top 4 that get the $50,000, so we need everyone's help. This challenge ends on JANUARY 31, so time is of the essence. Please forward this to as many people as you can.

I'm asking you to support The Oral Cancer Foundation. It is a great organization that is run basically by one man (with the help of a scant handful of volunteers and one webmaster) on a shoestring budget. He really needs help so he can continue to educate people about oral cancer and save lives. When my daughter Heather was dying of oral cancer, the OCF web site was my lifeline. They are truly fantastic people.

This is a great cause. Please pass this on and get as many people as you can to donate - the minimum is $10 and it is the NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT DONATE THAT COUNTS, so $10 is fine. You can make a BIG DIFFERENCE for just $10.

To donate, go to:

You can pay with a credit card or PayPal.

From the bottom of my heart I THANK YOU!

Rosemary Michael

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Links removed per everyone's desires. Also anyone that wants to us the OCF logo fo anything you can, it is downloadable on the press kit link off the main site nav bar. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/presskit/index.htm

I just went in through Rosie's badge and made a donation (number 2) It works well, but the best thing about the badge is that it gives you a pre written code to put on your emails going out to bring people to the badge. I also like the picture, not the OCF logo on it... Rosie's story is a painful reminder of how devastating this disease can be.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 01-22-2008 04:32 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I have just donated using PayPal without any problems.
There is a help screen while going through the process with information on the Good Card so I have pasted the information below for those that require it. (My Mum 80 and Dad 79 would never dream of having a credit card :))
More info and FAQ's once you start donating.
Cheers
Gabriele
How does a Good Card work?
What It Is:
The Good Card is a gift card for charity where the recipient gets to donate to their charity of choice. Everyone has their favorite charities and now you can give them the perfect gift - a donation to their favorite charity.

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

I just made 2 separate donations by going (as instructed above) to:
I used two different emails with separate passwords and registered as a new user each time. I hope it worked because I did have a few glitches. When I tried to go to my "history" to get the transaction # and payment history on one of the donations, I got an error message. So I will try again later this afternoon. I used my bank check card - which means I put my own funds in there to use just like a credit card except that I don't pay Credit card charges and I get interest on funds. Just realized that the error msg glitch mentioned above doesn't really matter because I received email confirmation (of my 2 contributions) to each of my email accounts.

Last edited by Anne-Marie; 01-28-2008 08:03 AM. Reason: note re confirmation emails

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

I stopped Friday and have a cash card coming this week. I should have done it sooner instead of paying as much as $2.50 to get cash. Sam's club was the only one that didn't have a fee but who wants to go there all the time.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
rosie Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, this is it, guys. We're coming down to the wire. Just one more day to make a difference. The donation challenge ends tomorrow at 3 PM. Do you think we could at least generate enough donations to get one of the $1,000 prizes?

All it takes is $10 to make a difference.

Use this link:

Thanks to all who have donated so far. And thanks in advance to any more who donate.

Last edited by rosie; 01-30-2008 05:44 AM. Reason: added link

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics