Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tiffini Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an appointment this Thursday at 3 p.m. to see the ENT.

Since my last post I had the perio work done and the lymph nodes remained swollen. My DDS sent me to my internal medicine doctor who felt 2 swollen nodes.

The sore in my right cheek is still present but it's quite painful. It's never really hurt like this until the past few weeks and it makes it feel like an ice pick is in my ear and throat.

Topical things such as orabase B, Ambesol and lidocaine viscous don't touch it. The pain is awful.

My DDS and M.D. say it's time for biopsy. I asked my dentist why he wouldn't do the new brush biopsy and he said he spoke with my physician and they want a piece of it excised and also the lymph nodes need fine needle aspiration.

My blood work looked pretty good except for a high white count but my sinus xrays and chest xrays were normal. No sign of infection there or in my ears.

The sore has been present for so long now. It's hard to describe how it looks other than it's just a yukky ulcerated sore that won't go away. It looks like a laceration/abrasion but now the area all around it is all red. I'm getting some odd feelings around my mouth on the right side. Not really a numbness, it's not tingling. It just feels weird. I feel the same in the side of my tongue on that side as well.

I'm not comfortable right now. I'm in alot of pain. Mentally, I'm ok. It's the physical pain that's doing a number on me.

My internist said it should have been biopsied a long time ago.

I don't know what to expect with the biopsies, etc. I'll be ok though. I'm tired of hurting like this and feeling so bad.

I was hoping that the topical things would atleast coat the area so it wouldn't hurt so bad but they don't.

The sore has been present for well over a year now but the lymph nodes only began to swell a few months ago along with the ear pain.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tiffini,

Good to hear your doctors are finally getting the show on the road. Maybe now you will get some answers and someone can begin helping you.

The needle biopsies of the lymph nodes are nothing. A little prick or two or three and it's done. It really is no biggie.

I wish you luck. Keep us undated.

Dinah

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Pain is good - most cancers don't have any pain. Sounds like some kind of nasty abscess. But kudos to the doctors for making absolutely certain. Your high white cell count is a plus also - that usually means infection. And the lymph glands in the area of the infection get involved too.

My stage III tonsil cancer had no pain and the most perfect white cell count you've ever seen - absolutely textbook. And the lymph nodes were not involved.

I would agree - get a referal to a head and neck surgeon or an ENT guy just to be sure. It's pretty specialized of an area for a regular MD - mine misdiagnosed my for 6 months.

Biopsies are no big deal - they anesthetize your throat and take a little snip. You won't feel a thing. Tell them to give you something for pain management (strong preferably) Some anti -anxiety meds wouldn't hurt you a bit either like Zanax. You may not even need a needle biopsy once the ENT Dx's it. Don't freak and let us know what happened.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I was wondering what type of Doc is going to do your biopsy. I hope it is a head and neck surgeon. Please let me know how you are doing.
How long have you been suffering with this discomfort. I am really glad that you are having a biopsy. It is very important. Atleast you will have a better idea about what is going on.
Please make sure to get a copy of your biopsy. I keep records of every biopsy that I have had.
I am thinking about you.
Take Care,
Rosalie
Stage 1 Cancer-October 2002
Stage 1- Thyroid Cancer November 2002

Rosalie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260