Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Donna,
Brachytherapy is fairly uncommon here, only a few that I know of have had it. I would guess that the side effects would be reduced due to the local very nature of the treatment. Especially since it uses gamma rather than ionizing radiation.

I know even less about HDR brachytherapy.

Most of the side effect studies have been done for prostate cancer.

This link may help:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...list_uids=11958887&dopt=AbstractPlus

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

For me... 4 weeks post treatment my weight had dropped to about 9olb... I would sleep, wake up, puke, feed, puke, sleep, wake up, puke..... I think you get it. I couldn't walk to the bathroom without ricocheting down the hall way. I was so weak, low blood pressuare, wasting away, oh my gosh! & completely uncoperative with my family and loved ones who were just trying to help. I don't think doctors explain just how bad it can get post treatment.
But on a good note, i'm great now! Working full time and setting up my own business. For me things didn't start to improve until 12 weeks post Tx.
I do hope things start to look up for your mum soon though.
Michelle

Undifferentiated Nasopharyngeal Ca. T3N1M0 stage: IIb. diagnosed: June 2006. 6cycles of high dose chemo (Cisplatin & 5FU). 6 & half weeks (33sessions) radical R/T
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

[quote]The general rule is one month of recovery for each week of treatment.[/quote]Double ditto that. Recovery from radiation is a beeyatch. Like my RO told me, IT'S ALL ABOUT NUTRITION. I made it without a PEG, but had a tough time choking down 4 cans of Ensure every day, four 4 1/2 months, I ate no solid food.

1) Nutrition
2) Treat depression (Wellbutrin works for me)
3) Thyroid dysfunction coming down the pike

Best,
Riley

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.
amy b Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for your input. It is so helpful. We had a good weekend - a physical therapist came in to help my mom. He will be coming twice a week to help her regain her strength, along with an occupational therapist. Baby steps are definitely the way forward, and although I am sure there will be some not so good days, I really appreciate the days that were better than the last. It is amazing how much I view an 8 minute walk as an accomplishment, and just have to hope that it is a sign of good things to come.

We have spent so much time in the last week evaluating her living situation. I know that she wants to go back to her own home, which I can entirely appreciate. I think we are to the point now where we are working to get her back there full time after her scans and appointment on 10/10. We will have to hire a full time, 24x7 nurse to live with her for at least a few weeks, but it is the only way it will work. This, of course, is the thought with the scan outcome being as good as it can be. I still cannot believe that the insurance company told us that they will not pay for 24x7 care and that they "expect family and friends to manage that". (This could be a whole different topic, and one that I do not dare venture into). I am just thankful that we have the resources to do that for a little while.

Thank you again. Donna, if you are reading this I am thinking of you and your mom today. I really hope everything goes well!

Amy

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.
JAM Offline

Good to hear you all are going forward- there wil be lots of reality checks along the way. And you just might have to "take on her Ins.Co., so let us know how that is progressing. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37