Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi,
I've been on this forum for a couple of years and try to read this every work day, but do not have as much time to devote to it as I would like. Since my particular cancers were rather rare, and my treatment several years ago, I don't post as often as many others. I do feel it is important for the newcomers to know that there are us out here who have made once, if not twice, know what they are going through and aren't planning to give up anytime soon without a fight should this nasty beast show up again. Also while many people may not post often, they may be sending emails to their network of friends here. When you log into the board, you can see who is signed on. I see some of the same people over and over again that haven't posted in months. It's good to know they are out there and keeping in touch. They will post again when they have a problem they need help with.

Now someone explain to me who all these guests are. I haven't found a way to get into the forum except by registering.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

PS. Lobster is still good and so are Lamb chops rare with mint jelly.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Shawna,

Been on vacation, but I think most people move on. For a lot, it is a very painful experience. Some of the people here in Raleigh that I have talked to, have kept to them selves after treatment. Some want to help all they can. I had so much support form friends, work, neighbors, etc. that I would feel guilty not trying to give some help back.

Hope your Dad is doing well.

Steve Daib

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Shawna,
I'm a three year survivor and can finally say I don't think about cancer every day! So because of that fact I only "lurk" around once a week to check up on everybody. Never thought I'd reach the point where cancer wouldn't consume my every thought, but I am now looking forward to a cancer free future and planning for retirment! I will for the rest of my life support OCF for the wonderful support that I received. And after meeting such wonderful people in Las Vegas for the first survivors reunion I will definitly be ready to go to the second get together! Meeting Brian and Ingrid and all of the survivors that made it there was a highlight in my life! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Shawna,

I am a lurker too. Since David did die of this disease, I don't always post, but read to keep you close to my heart. You were all such a anchor for us as we went through it. Your joys and triumphs give me so much joy and with your trials, so many tears. I include you ALL daily in my prayers and for a cure.

Stay encouraged!!

Love, Brenda

T1N0M0 Partial Glossectomy 2/04, Recurrance w/ another P.G. 5/04. IMRTx33 7/04-9/04. T2N2M0 recurrance in throat, 11/04.
2nd tumor 1/06/05, Chemo 1/11-05 Died 02-16-05 Wife: Brenda
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Friends,
I discovered this forum when I really needed it...just as treatment was ending and I was feeling like hell. I got much more support here than I did from anyone at MDACC, and this forum became my home. I visited several times a day. I have had the pleasure of meeting in person and eating dinner with Brian Hill and another friend that I made on this board when they travelled to Houston.

However now that I am feeling so well and thinking less about cancer, I just don't visit or post as often as I used to. Although I do still check in from time to time. I played golf with 3 strangers at my club on Saturday and did not even mention cancer, even when I drank my Boost. Usually people ask about it and I explain that this is what I drink for quick nutrition since I can't easily scarf down cookies or an apple or sandwich or something on the course. I used to feel much more need to let everyone know about the cancer than I do these days.

On another note I did something wonderful/miserable yesterday. I drove to Austin, Texas and along with one young man moved a full UHaul truck full of furniture and crap to my daughter's new apartment near the University of Texas where she attends. On the one hand I feel so blessed to be in the physical shape to keep up with a 21 year old kid in moving a lot of furniture in 98 degree Texas heat. I also feel very blessed to be around to see my daughter, who was just starting her senior year of high school when I was diagnosed, now beginning her junior year of college. On the other hand...I will never move anyone again! Next time I am hiring a mover!

Take care,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I loved your post Danny. My husband keeps wondering whether he is ever going to have a 'normal' life again. It's great to see comments like yours from someone who has been there. Thanks for the lift! Connie

Wife of Jerry - Dx. Jan '05. SCC BOT T1N2BM0 + Uvula T0N0M0. Stg IV, Surg on BOT and Uvula + Mod Rad Neck Diss.(15 rmvd, 4 w/cancer), IMRT 33x. Cmpltd 5/9/05.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

One year since cancer came into our lives and I find that now I need a break from time to time mostly because I realize what a privilege it is to take one. Still I am drawn to stay on the board cause we would never have made it through the worst of the worst without the information and very real support of the core members of this site...In case I haven't said it BLESS YOU ALL for everything you do everyday and for answering the same questions over and over again with genuine sincerity and concern....Peace Denise

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Danny G,
Seems like only yesterday we discussed our daughters' high school graduations and freshman year move in. As I recall, I was still a little stiff in the neck from my dissection and climbed up on her top bunk to make the bed... and found my percocet to take care of the pain from that the next day! Good to hear from you, friend.

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I'm two years from treatment, and better all the time. In fact I don't think about it every day either, sometimes just complain about neck pain but it sure beats the alternative. I don't post much because others so often have more detailed answers than I can provide. Also I suffered with a lot of negative feelings during treatment (and a while after)- I didn't want to freak people out just starting down the treatment path. I also check in often and see how everyone is and always thank God for good news about everyone's life! Sue

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics