Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56708 07-23-2005 08:39 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I finally succeeded in getting my PEG tube removed last Wednesday. However, I was a little loopy afterwards and it did seem like the doctor was swift and busy.

They did tell me that I would probably need to pack the wound area with something like maxi pads or kotex because it would leak quite a bit. However, after I took a shower that night and removed the dressing they had put on there, I didn't have much leakage at all. (Guess in my mind's eye, I was picturing everytime I took a drink I'd be squirting out my shirt like a colander)Anyway, I've been getting by without any sort of dressing at all on the area. About the only care I'm doing is making sure to hit the area with lots of soap when I shower.

Perhaps some of you got better directions after the PEG removal. It sure seems like mine is healing up quite rapidly. It looks a bit like I have a second belly button there, but I'm guessing the scar and puncture will slowly disappear over time.

Right now, as we are experiencing over 100 degree heat, it would really be nice to be able to cool down in the neighborhood pool. Of course, I wouldn't want to chance it if I'm not completely healed up.

Does anyone know how long to wait before getting in a pool or experiencing a luxurious hot soak in the bathtub will be?

Showers are okay... but my... to cool off with a dip would be something I could circle on my calendar.

Jen

#56709 07-23-2005 08:47 AM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hooray Jen! When John's peg comes out , he will do cartwheels. There are "waterproof" patches for cuts and stitches. I'd be more worried about the effects of sun and heat on you. It's 100+ degrees here too. Stay cool. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#56710 07-23-2005 11:49 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

You know I never thought to ask but I would bet within a week or 2. The doc told us that she has had patients who have accidentally pulled the tube out and the hole closed before they could get in to see her the next day.

Harry had the same thought. He was convinced that as soon as she pulled it out his guts were going to spill all over the floor. I was amazed at how quick it was. He has adjusted well I think. We have gotten him some body builder stuff from the local iron-man health store and I make him drink 2 a day.

I will tell you that we had a nasty car wreck 6 years ago and Harry lost a significant amount of weight then as well. More than he did with his treatments. I made him use that stuff religeously and it worked. There is one thing to watch, however, when the weight starts coming back, watch yourself. Once you start gaining regularly then taper off of the supplement because all of the sudden you will over gain when the body takes over. So just be careful and monitor your weight so you will know when to back off.

I am going to put Harry in the pool week after next and I think he will be fine. We pulled his peg July 7th.

Best to you!

Cindy

Caregiver to ex-husband Harry. Dx 12/10/04 SCC stg 3, BOT with 2 nodes left side. No surg/chemo x4 /rad.x37(rad comp. 03/29/05)Cisplatin/5FU(comp. 05/07/05)-T1N2M0-(cancer free 06/14/05)-(12/10/06) 2 yr. Survivor!!!
#56711 07-23-2005 11:56 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Ironically, I've never been too pudgy. At the most I was a size 12 and hovered at 140, but that was after the third baby and with a potato chip thing going on.

Thinking about it, I've always been somewhat of a hard gainer with a fast metabolism. Always the lightest kid in the class in school and when I was in college, my weight was always around 100. I had sorority sisters swear I was anorexic because I would eat huge amounts of food and never gain an ounce.

Anyway... food is good again. I even mastered a tunafish sandwich today and will have steak tonight. I was just curious for those that have healed up from the tube removal how long you were instructed to stay out of pools and tubs.

I'd sure hate to have a setback or an infection, but I have been cooling off by running through the sprinkler out in the yard. I must look like some undernourished fairy.

Jen

#56712 07-23-2005 12:01 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

oh... btw. In sort of a reverse pattern... because my left arm still doesn't have quite the range of motion of the right, I've been having my kids help me slather up with sunscreen. Even with the sunscreen on I'm starting to look a little less white. I located a cheap straw cowboy hat that I bought at Walmart for 7 bucks to keep the sun off my neck and face.

I'm all about "cheap" now. Never in my life did I think I would fit into size 3 jeans. However, even though those jeans are loose on me now, I tried on a pair of size 0 jeans and found them to be too tight... yippeee...

The good news... swimsuits are unbelievably cheap right now because it's the end of season. It's just too bad I'm having trouble finding small sizes.

Jen

#56713 07-23-2005 01:57 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hi Jen,

'Perhaps some of you got better directions after the PEG removal. It sure seems like mine is healing up quite rapidly. It looks a bit like I have a second belly button there, but I'm guessing the scar and puncture will slowly disappear over time.'

that is what i thought too, but it isn't the case for me. the belly button look still persists for years.

last week i talked with my dermatologist last week and she again suggested that it could be reduced from the belly button look to just a slight scar by some minor surgery... a surgon was recommneded.

i choose to leave it as it is... but for someone who has just had their PEG removed, if he/she want the hole to disappear, a surgeon might be the way to get it done... once and for all.

cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
#56714 07-23-2005 04:29 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hmmm, I never thought that the second belly button look would be permanent. Guess that means my dreams of being over fifty and still prancing around in a bikini have been dashed!

Really, though.. I just want a quick healing. I've never been a fan of unnecessary surgery. Goodness knows, most of us have seen enough of hospitals, operations and procedures.

I am sure going to relish a hot soak in a tub when that time comes. And I think I'll never take it for granted if I can slip into a cool pool of water, especially if it's over 100 degrees outside. No bikini dreams now... lol.

Jen

#56715 07-23-2005 11:10 PM

hey Jen,

wear that belly button with pride. you earned it.

most folks think i've been shot.
bad boy.

cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
#56716 07-24-2005 12:25 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Jen
Don't give up I can't hardly see my scar, although I know from your photo's the PEG in the USA is the big brother of the one in the UK.
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
#56717 07-24-2005 07:14 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I was in the pool about a week or so after the peg was out, in fact swam in a lake. Use your judgement. Mine sealed over real fast. At that lake my kids & I played a mean joke on my wife! After swimming in the lake I layed on the beach, squished a ripe red rasberry in the peg site & just layed there until my wife walked up & noticed it & freaked out! We all had good laugh, even my wife when she realized I was just being my normal goofball self! In fact she got me back when she pushed me off the end of the dock when I wasn't looking! Good times! Jen, go jump in a lake! Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users