Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56676 07-08-2005 01:33 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I'm sure the sure the thread subject has more than a few interested, but this really is kind of an embarrassing question. As you can tell from my previous post about calorie counter books, I'm attempting with all my willpower to put the pounds BACK on. Now, for the most part, I'm doing pretty good. I force myself to eat even when I'm not hungry, and I will eat anything any time of the day. This morning I ate an entire shredded beef and cheese burrito, turned around and nuked another one to eat. Had some chicken fried steak at Perkins for lunch, and in the interest of calories, I confess I've been pouring colas over ice and eating ice cream at least twice a day. Sometimes I have good luck with cold cereal too.

I highly suspect that my metabolism has changed a great deal since treatment, but it seems even with constant intake all day long I seem to be unable to gain a pound. Then again, I feel pretty good and I'm on my feet all day doing household chores and probably burning more calories than I take in.

Here's my embarrassing question. I was looking on the internet for weight gain solutions and most of the weight gain sites were body building type products. In the interest of science, I was thinking about Danny's milkshake idea and adding some protein body mass powder. I was wondering if any other folks had tried this before I wasted my money. The "whey protein powder" and "maltodextrin" doesn't sound like it would be harmful.

Now, I've read the guides the nutritionist gave me, and I'm going to invest in some Scandishakes and Instant Breakfast powders too, but when looking at the ingredients of the "Weight Gainer 1850" jar from GNC, I could add 1850 calories to my diet with three scoops a day.

Various friends have made suggestions too. One friend suggested putting in a raw egg, but the dietician's guide says this would be dangerous with weakened immune systems, so I've avoided it.

For the record, I'm not looking for a quick fix here, just something to help me gain back some of my "ass padding" as I'm finding it difficult as a patient recovering from cancer treatment to find comfortable places to sit. While it doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, hard chairs in public places just aren't for me anymore. I'm tired of people looking at me like I'm anorexic.

This seems like such a stupid question, but before I endanger myself, I just had to post to ask if any of the protein supplements from the health food stores work for anyone?

Jen

#56677 07-08-2005 02:03 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I use Designer Whey Protein powder in French Vanilla. It tastes exactly like a milkshake when you make it in a blender with a couple of ice cubes. I also use GenSoy soy protein powder. I usually add that to creamed soups or make a yumm yumm out of it. A yum yum would be
In the blender:
bananna
strawnerries
bluberries
peach if you like or any fruit or berry of your choice though probably not apple. Maybe melon would work out good.
milk
soy protein powder
sweetener of your choice :sugar/honey/splenda/or other sugar substitute to taste.
Pop in a couple ice cubes and enjoy.

Hugs!
barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#56678 07-08-2005 02:06 PM

P.S. This would probably be the cause of my gaining 6 pounds while on my 3rd. week of doing radiation. I don't need it by a long shot. :rolleyes: Trust me. laugh LOL

Good luck to ya!
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#56679 07-08-2005 02:23 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Barb, I would LOVE it if I could gain 6 pounds. This is why I'm asking this silly question about "weight gain" powder. I've already tried my rad onc's advice of eating ice cream before going to sleep (tried it for a week without seeing results, plus I've been eating ice cream throughout the day)

From reading a few websites of tips from body builders I found the ingredients to look for... whey protein powder, maltodextrin and creatine monohydrate. I've also thought about adding powdered milk, and Instant Breakfast to my milkshakes.

Whatever I'm doing, by eating the old fashioned way, I'm definitely NOT adding enough calories because I'm not gaining. Technically, I don't understand this at all, because I'm eating way more than I use to before I became ill.

I'm also going to try some of the tips from the booklet the dietician gave me. I'm thinking about mashing up fresh sweet potatoes with lots of butter and maple syrup.

Thanks though. I just hope taking the body builder supplements doesn't make me grow whiskers or something.

Jen

#56680 07-08-2005 02:42 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jen, I can't halp with the body building questions, but I do wish you good luck with your weight gain program. Hope you are trying to work in lots of vegetables too. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#56681 07-08-2005 02:46 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

If you guys do come up with any ideas on the weight gain thing please let me know! I just got some new pictures of Rod...pretty thin. He does do interior trim work and in Florida it is pretty hot. I think he is working & sweating off any calories he takes in. I am trying to convince him that eating the way he did before he got sick isn't working. One pharmicist told me, you need 3000 extra calories a day to gain a pound! He doesn't like the smell of boost, it reminds him of having the feeding tube so he is trying the weight gainer also mentioned on this thread. His metabolism is very high so that doesn't help. Since he has dry mouth, I wonder if mixing some juice with his water would be some help instead of no calories at all??? Anyway if anyone has any good ideas, let me know!

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
#56682 07-08-2005 03:07 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

yikes... an extra 3000 calories? Well, this is why I'm asking about the body building powder stuff. I tried a milk shake tonight and clumps of the powder didn't get mixed in very good so it made me gag. I think I'll go to the health store tomorrow and see about soy protein and whey protein powder.

I really crave fresh fruit, so maybe I can try some of Barb's yum yum ideas. I never was much of an ice cream eater, but since trying to gain I've been eating it several times a day and also forcing myself to wash down alot of milk too.

There's no possible way I could get down an extra 3000 calories on my own. I just have to concentrate on high calorie intakes all the time.

I'm a huge juice drinker and have been buying the Juicy Juice 100% juice whenever I find it.

I just don't want to be stupid if I use a supplement to gain some weight.

#56683 07-08-2005 03:36 PM
JAM Offline

Jen, one of my all time [southern favorites] is pouring Coke [some people like Pepsi]over vanilla icecream for a float. That will consolidate a bunch of calories. By the way, you mentioned being on your feet all day doing housework etc. Could you just delegate that for a while. I have a sign hanging in my kitchen that says "Dull Women have immaculate homes" So find a great book and sit on your skinny butt for several hours everyday. No excuses! Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#56684 07-08-2005 03:54 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi, Jen. I think you were absolutely right about your metabolism being changed. For at least a year, nearly two after treatment, I ate and ate and ate like a linebacker. As time went by, I found I had loads of energy but was just very, very thin. At about the two year mark, my metabolism seemed to return to normal and I had to cut way back on my intake. I know this has been the case with others, so you probably do not need to worry -- if you can just maintain, you will eventually gain. No charge for the rhyme (grin). To be honest, I thought that being able to eat absolutely anything I wanted in the quantity I desired was a bonus for completeing tx! Enjoy yourself and find something else to worry about. This situation will right itself in time.

#56685 07-08-2005 04:01 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Tom is having a hard time putting on any more weight....he gained 20 back from the 30 he lost, but he was underweight when all this began, so we have a ways to go yet. Since the feeding tube was removed about 3 weeks ago, he's lost 3 pounds, although he is eating fairly well. Burritos and enchiladas seem to work for him! He is eating lots more ice cream and Danny's shake is made almost daily, but he hates taking in so many 'empty calories.' Eating is still a challenge, and he balks at fruits and vegetables only because there aren't enough calories taken in for the amount of effort he has to put out.
I have taken to putting the whey protein into the shakes, but he sure doesn't like the taste it adds. A float is a great idea, Amy....empty calories, maybe, but delicious ones!
Maureen, Tom, too won't take Boost or Ensure...they remind him of the feeding tube as well. I didn't know about the 3000 calorie/pound deal, but guess I'd better get to work on more high-calorie meals. Wonder if lasagna will work for him?!?!?!
Good luck to you --- I've never HAD to gain weight, but it surely comes to me whether I want it or not!
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users