Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55433 08-31-2004 11:51 AM
OP Offline

Hi All!

I haven't been here in awhile as I had twins 5 months ago...the same time my mom was having her 6 weeks/2X a day radiation treatments. She had a pretty rough time of it and it continues! She is still on a PEG tube and only sips little bits of liquids that don't burn her tongue. Her videoswallow study was pretty good...slight pooling of thicker material but good swallows without aspiration with thin liquids. She had a "stretching" procedure done 2 times I believe at the level of the pharynx/esophageal sphinctor which has also helped her to not feel as though she is choking.

My question is...has anyone ever taken Medrol to relax the muscles involved in swallowing (I think that's what its for)...a Radiation doc from the University of Miami Hospital recommended it and she's anxious about trying it (she's very tired of all the different meds she's been taking).

I'll have plenty of other questions later when I get the time to post...I'm pretty busy between the two young boys!

Mom is 4 months post radiation...fatigued, dry mouth, soreness on tongue & throat and has lost much weight!! Her biggest recovery so far is that that dang mucous has subsided finally!!!!

Anyway, let me know if anyone knows about that drug Medrol!

Thanks so, so much!!!! Ps. I pray on my St Therese medal all the time for everyone on this board...I lurk around here when I can and send my mom threads that I think would validate how she feels...I think she may be more depressed than she's letting on!

My mom had 3 radical neck dissections, tumor was stage 4 surgically removed. Set to begin Cyberknife & radiation combo for 6 weeks.
Trace
#55434 08-31-2004 01:18 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Tracee,

I was wondering about you and the twins and your mom. My mom was still pretty depressed at about 4 months post radiation but it is soooo true how they say a month for every week of radiation because now my mom is just about 6 months post her 6 weeks of radiation and really starting to show improvement. Things will get better... wink

Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate
#55435 08-31-2004 11:53 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Danielle! That was an encouraging note...I hope things begin to get better either more noticeably or at a faster rate!

I see your in Huntington Beach...I lived in Redondo Beach but moved back when I was planning to get married & have family to be closer to family..I'm from Wi. I feel lucky that I did...it would have been really hard to go through this if I lived so far away! I'm gonna go back to your old posts to refresh my memory on your mom's CA...doesn't she also have leukoplakia?

Talk Later & thanks again...that post will be a boost for my mom!! smile

My mom had 3 radical neck dissections, tumor was stage 4 surgically removed. Set to begin Cyberknife & radiation combo for 6 weeks.
Trace
#55436 09-01-2004 10:34 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Trace,

She had leukoplakia for about 10 years before it turned to SCC. I have her using the mouthwash that Brian posted about several months back that is supposed to help with leukoplakia . It seems to help her when rinsing her mouth. I think its called Betacell and you can order it from this website. You might want to order her some. It was really inexpensive.

I love Huntington Beach my husband keeps trying to convince me to move somewhere where the cost of living isn't so high but I refuse to leave my family. I bet those twins keep you busy. I have an 11 month old girl and she is a handfull!

Take care,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users