Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#54675 03-26-2004 02:31 PM
jobeeg Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom is 3 1/2 weeks post treatment. She has a stomach tube. The radiologist told her to wait until 3 weeks after the end of treatment, to start trying to eat. After 3 weeks I blended a smoothie for her. She worked on it for the day and got most of it down but her tongue has been stinging ever since. The next day some yogurt stung too much to finish and the day after that jello stung too much. Today we didn't bother trying anything.
Mom had a checkup Monday and the doctor said "there's a lot of healing going on in there" when he looked in her mouth. So, we guess the stinging would be "normal", but wonder for how long that should last and when others started eating anything without it hurting.

I'm about 8 weeks after the chemo and radiation stop. Had the same problem with jello (rasberry) and some other things. Chicken broth and tea worked well for me initially. My tongue and throat are still healing according to the Docs. About a month after the chemo/rad stop I had a modified blateral neck dissection so this put me back aways in eating (swelling/edema on the throat).

It is slow to eat. I watched my wife put away a small smoothie in 2-3 minutes and I only could get 1/2 of mine down.

To summarize, try broths, liquids (tea) and 7-up before trying the "harder stuff"! 7-up I've found was great for my throat and heals it according to the hospital and nurses. Good Luck!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

jobeeg, give it time. At a couple of months out, I remember thinking I was doing so well, getting my taste back, and then I got just a tiny bit of salad dressing and thought I would die! I think it is amazing that Mike can take carbonation, as that took me months to handle. Bottom line, figure months to be able to eat normally, although she will see little improvements weekly, I'll bet. It is just too bad someone doesn't manufacture patience pills!

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Unfortunately the stinging lasts awhile. My doc said 4-6 weeks post radiation but i'm sure it depends on the case. Chicken broth doesn't seem to sting, Milk and any juice does. Also wash it down with water reduces the stinging for the lower stinging stuff.

SCC R-Tonsil T2 NO MO Dec 2003. Completed IMRT Radiation only to tonsils(72Gy) and neck(55Gy)March 04. Detected at age 50.

Someone suggested to me to let the stuff with the carbonation in it go flat...(like pepsi,coke,sprite) and then try it. Almost 5 yrs here and it all still stings at times but hey, I'm still here and breathing considering the alternative so hang in there. Milk is good for me and seems to coat my mouth and throat but anything with acid...oh boy...give it time. Lots of water just for hydration is always good.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My husband is 16 months out of treatment and he still can't drink any soft drinks or eat chocolate in any form.

It's rather odd.....the things that I would think would be hard to swallow, such as chips, pretzels or hard-crust bread is easier than things that tend to "melt" in the mouth.

He says it all tends to "grow" and "clog" his throat.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Mandi....

My situation sounds like your husbands as far as the chocolate goes. I can eat it but the consistancy as it melts in my mouth bothers me. So...I now buy "non perrels" (not sure how to spell it). They are those round pieces of chocolate with the white beads on them. The ones I get are made with semi-sweet chocolate and go down much easier. My weight gain proves it!!

Khaja

Khaja
SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Diagnosed 12/02
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mandi,

Funny but Dr Pepper was the only drink I could tolerate from the last week of radiation (October) untill December. I started introducing milk for the fat and calories in November. Chocolate tasted like pure salt in October and every time I try it again, it tastes funny and clogs my throat. I MISS CHOCOLATE! I can eat the chips and bread as long as I have drink to wish every mouthful down.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm about 16 months post treatment from glossectomy and radiation to tongue, and still have some areas that are very sensitive to spicy foods, carbonated drinks, anything with citric acidity. Actually seems to be getting worse rather than better. Any clues? Nothing visible in that area, no white patches, color difference. I'm stumped.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Jet...I too am bothered by spicy foods and acids as I only have about one round inch of taste buds left on my tongue but I make sure it is the "mild" spice and cut it with lots of hidden valley ranch dressing...It seems to help me. I am finding crazy ways to reconfigure the foods I loved without choking on them or burning my throat. Water down the juices and let the carbonated stuff go flat. It does get better after a while...or maybe I just got used to a new "taste" hah!!! Even if the stuff winds up in the blender, it still tastes the same overall...ever try chicken chow mein in the blender?????? Almost anything works if we are desperate enough....and I have been, so give it a try....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users