Chrisdee......Your friend is very lucky to have you help him through this difficult time. And you're doing all the right things; just listening to him talk/vent, and sharing a bit of what you know about radiation. I am glad you are able to be there for him.

You're right, everyone is different when it comes to radiaton, but I'd say by the fourth/fifth week your friend is gonna start feeling pretty bad. His neck will possibly begin to burn by then and his oral cavity/throat will most likely be full of sores, and very painful. His saliva will become thick and ropey and fatigue will set in. Hopefully by this time he will have someone driving him back and forth to his Radiation treatments. If he hasn't already, have him purchase some Biotene Mouthwash to help clean his oral cavity of the thick ropey saliva. I also found the mouthwash to be very soothing to my oral cavity. A water pik also may be helpful in getting rid of the "crud" in his mouth.

Your friend will get sicker before he begins to get better, but he will get better. It just all takes time. So hang tight! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!