Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#52625 05-15-2002 12:47 PM
Joanna Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Rationally, intelectually, I know this is a very minor problem, but it has thrown me for a loop. Today I had seven teeth extracted, and two bridges were also casualties. This is in preparation for radiation. This is not because I did not go to the dentist with great regularity, but because the same #$%*!@ who told me not to worry about the red spot on my gum, also failed to tell me that I had significant bone loss on a bunch of teeth. Okay, the small problem. If I open my mouth even a little bit, I look like a backwoods granny. I know that implants are not possible after radiation, so does anyone know if I will ever be able to replace the great empty spaces with something -- anything -- that looks approximately like teeth?

Joanna, aka irrational old hag

#52626 05-15-2002 01:22 PM

Hi Joanna,
After my surgery and prior to radiation, I had to have all of my teeth removed. A year after treatment was finished I was given my top denture. I had very few problems adjusting to the denture. I had to wait 18 months to be fitted with bottom dentures because the gums were in the line of radiation. I have had them about a month now, and things are some better. I still have not regained total sense of taste, so alot of foods I no longer miss. It is nice to finally crunch toast again. I'm sure after your treatments you also will get the missing teeth replaced. Hang in there, things do get better. I understand how you feel, it was a very long time after treatment ended before I would venture out into the world. I was so sure everyone was staring at me, but eventually I got over that. I wish you well and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Anita smile

#52627 05-15-2002 01:39 PM
Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, Anita! The largest empty space is on the top, and the radiation is for my neck, so perhaps I will be able to have something put in there sooner rather than later. I am embarrassed about being embarrassed, but have not yet come to terms with it, as minor as it is in the grand scheme of things. Your reply has me feeling better.

Joanna

#52628 05-16-2002 02:14 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Joanna, Believe it or not, I know how you feel. My Dr. tells me I'm impatient and I finally agree with him. The standard joke between us is that I wanted teeth in my mouth when I left the hospital. I wouldn't leave my house without a turtle neck for almost a year. I was so sure that people were staring at the ugly red scar that runs from under my ear, down to my collar bone across and up to my chin. Well, much to my surprise, since I've given up the turtle necks, I've only had one person ask me what happened to me. Hang in there and try to be patient. If you want to vent, email at anytime. Take care and thinking of you.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#52629 05-16-2002 04:35 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Joanna........You are so funny! When you mentioned that you looked like a "backwoods granny" with all your missing teeth I immediately had a visual of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies, minus teeth of course. Some how I doubt you look that bad though. I've been lucky with my teeth so far--knock wood--my dentist compares them to the teeth of a horse, and I'm guessing that is supposed to be a compliment! LOL In five years I have not had one cavity BUT it appears the the bone in my jaw is deterioating and at some point that will give me trouble. IT's always something! Teeth or no teeth I get the sense that you'll get through all of this cancer stuff just fine---your wonderful sense of humor will carry you far on your cancer journey. Good Luck, and keep us posted. By the way, when do you start radiation? How is the feeding tube working for you? And by now, I"m guessing your treachea is long gone. Right? Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#52630 05-16-2002 01:58 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Joanna....I too had to laugh at your description, though I am sure to you that it is no laughing matter to you. As I sit at the computer today, still under the weather from a week with the flu, a copy of "the International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants" showed up in the mail. This is my old industry, and a magazine in which I was published years ago. I still get the information even though I sold out my company quite a while back. This month

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#52631 05-16-2002 05:58 PM
Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Glad I could make you laugh, Brian, as my humor is always restored by a good night's sleep. I didn't want to smile anyway, as there is some residual numbness that make a really crooked smile that as plain as a sign labels me "Idiot." Seriously, I do appreciate the information about replacement teeth down the road. Until then I will do as a friend suggests and talk like a hood out of the corner of my mouth (grin).

Motorcycle huh? When I worked in the ER we called them donorcycles. The state in which I live has made helmet wearing an option, which of course means more donors. I suspect the medical establishment was behind that move.

Joanna, closed mouth woman

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics