Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#52338 11-03-2007 04:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jean -

Don't ever hestitate to ask questions and, ask why a certain treatment is being done rather than another. Also, be proactive in presenting anything which might affect the eventual treatment decision. For example, prior to his daignosis my husband had existing (and progressing) high-end hearing loss due to ear infections as a child, also the hereditary neurological condition called "benign essential tremor." His MO and RO both took this into consideration and he was given carboplatin chemo rather than the more commonly-used cisplatin because it is far less toxic to the ears, plus no taxanes because of the risk of neuropathy and possibly exacerbating his existing tremor.

Be sure to ask about the possible (almost unavoidable) side-effects -- see the Oral Foundation web site for discussion of these -- and ask how they plan to ameliorate them. This discussion may be better with the oncology nurses, by the way. This would include trismus, mucositis, pain, skin burns, and inability to swallow sufficient hydration and nutrition. Ask about the PEG tub, I agree with other posters that it can be a life-saver.

You must be the strong one, it is hard enough for the patient to get through each day. My feeling is you can never ask enough questions and get enough information, fortunately, my husband's doctors all agreed!

Gail

p.s. since Joe is young and a non-smoker, has he been tested for human papilloma virus? It is turning out to be a major cause of tonsil and base of tongue cancers in non-smokers, is biologically different, responds better to treatment and far less chance of recurrence. However it is almost never implicated in oral tongue (outer part of tongue) cancers but your post doesn't make clear where Joe's tumor was.

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#52339 11-03-2007 06:42 AM
ord_dfw Offline OP
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline

Gail, I don't know if was tested for HPV, but I plan to ask him. His tumor is on the underpart of his tongue towards the back.

I have been reading about the side effects and they certainly sound awful. For all of you who have gone through this and those who have supported patients, you are simply terrific.

I didn't realize that the peg tube was that easy to insert. That might make a difference with Joe's decision. Thanks for the information!

Jean

* Root for Joe *
Sister of Joe (43, non-smoker/chewer; occ. drinker). Mouth problem 3/07. Diag with Stage I 6/07. Diag with Stage IV 9/07. In EPOC at Univ of Chicago. Cisplatin/cetuximab 1/wk x 8. Then, IMRT 5x/wk x 7 and weekly chemo. Done 12/21/07. Looks good as of 4/08, 7/08, 8/08, 1/09.
#52340 11-05-2007 09:53 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jean,
How wonderful that you and your brother were able to talk and get on the same page.
He needs his family now and you will be a wonderful advocate and friend.

*Rooting for Joe*
Maggie

caregiver to husband
right tonsil stage 3
35 IMRT TX completed 1/5/2007
PET Scan clear 3/07
biopsy 9/07 clear
1st yr PET scan 12/18/07 clear
#52341 11-05-2007 04:07 PM

Hi Jean,
I used to print out a lot of the posts here to share with my mom and family, it was insightful and made it easier for them to start asking questions.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
#52342 11-06-2007 12:12 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jean - As Donna says, it does help to print out info from other posters or from searching the OCF web site - that way when you share it with others, it's not like you are telling them what to do but it's info coming from others who have been thru the same experience. It's better of course if questions can be asked in a positive manner. I found that having other people present when asking questions of the doctor really makes it easier to remember and you can check with each other afterwards to make sure info was clear. You can ask Joe if he wants you to be there. . . . that way, it will help him to feel in control. When my son was not keeping track of his medications and resisted my suggestions, I printed out some really good posts and just left them by his bed and it really got results! Sounds like Joe is really lucky to have such a caring sister.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#52343 11-06-2007 04:57 AM
ord_dfw Offline OP
OP Offline

Excellent ideas!

Radiation starts next Monday. We are all nervous, but I am just amazed at how my brother has handled this.

It seems as if the first 2-3 weeks might be relatively easy compared to the later weeks. He will be done on Dec 21, so I hope the New Year will bring the best for him and everyone else on this board. One of the hard things for him to do was to give up playing Santa Claus at our family party on Christmas Eve. Some of the kids still believe and he's been doing it for 10+ years.

Another question is now vexing me ... we have planned a schedule for people to take him to radiation and to stay overnight with him. What about during the day? Should we be telling people to plan to stay after radiation? I fully realize that the final decision will be Joe's, but if this might be a day-long commitment, I want to make sure that people know what they are getting into.

Thanks,
Jean

* Root for Joe *
Sister of Joe (43, non-smoker/chewer; occ. drinker). Mouth problem 3/07. Diag with Stage I 6/07. Diag with Stage IV 9/07. In EPOC at Univ of Chicago. Cisplatin/cetuximab 1/wk x 8. Then, IMRT 5x/wk x 7 and weekly chemo. Done 12/21/07. Looks good as of 4/08, 7/08, 8/08, 1/09.
#52344 11-06-2007 07:47 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jean,
You are amazing! Sounds like you have got everything SO organised! Well done! I'm sure it will help all of you by spreading the burden.

Have you got the schedule written down/spreadsheeted?(OK, I just made that word up!)

From what I've read, not experience, in the early stages he will want and possibly need to be left on his own afterwards, as the side-effects 'kick in' he will/may be more needy of company/nursing--but you seem to be well-prepared for that, and as you say, it will be his own decision, based on how HE feels, initially physically/emotionally, later you may need to 'pull rank'

Hey. let's hope for the best--no-one ever said Santa couldn't be sleepy or considerate occasionally--he might manage a half-hour appearance, but has decided he won't stay too long as he knows 'Uncle Joe' is asleep in bed and doesn't feel too good!--Long live believers!!

I'm sure the 'pro-caregivers' will soon be on to advise! Well done again, you!

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#52345 11-06-2007 08:53 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jean,
Just a thought on the questioning subject:
There were some questions that I didn't really want to ask in front of my husband - or that I didn't have time to ask (or think to ask) at the time of the appointments. So I would email his radiation oncologist - we had a really valuable continual correspondence. I realize many doctors would not be open to this, especially at a large center.

Best,
Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.
#52346 11-06-2007 04:52 PM

Jean,
I e-mail my mom's RO periodically. He read the e-mail tonight and called right after to discuss it and speak with mom. I value the opportunity to be able to discuss questions that I am uncomfortable asking in front of mom/family. Sometimes my mom just wasn't ready to hear everything. Also, I agree with Bren about your brother needing time alone initially. My mom always came home exhausted and really needed to sleep/rest. I found that if someone aside from those living here was present she would try to stay awake and be the hostess. Rad really took a lot out of her.
I'm glad he has you to manage things....it's not easy at times.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics