Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

1. Depends on individual. For me, it was once per day as long as I took my stool softener. If I forgot, i was very miserable.

2. Any time I was over 100.

3. XClair or BioFine

4. I went downhill from the first week on. I was not able to eat from October 12th to January 29th. Some are differrent, but that was my experience.

Also, I took my nausea meds as a precautionary measure and extras if I needed. I found this really helped.

Hope this helps,

Steve Daib

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
Mariam Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks guys,
Sorry I've been gone...He went to ER on Mon and tues and has been/is hospitalized with serious case of thrush and has the super mucous/saliva. His PEG is nasty too but not infected (hole is larger than tube,leaks, needs to be redressed every 2 hours.)
Then all these problems started under hospitalization, too many to tell and little but I've been with him since tues and it's all unnerving. Just got home after 3 hour drive..Mom's with him now. JAM I do want to get him a suction machine (totally awesome aren't they?) but I will wait to see because I think the VA may have one coming to us.
Tired. I've never seen him so out of it...Worse part of all of this is how quickly the changes come.
Sorry not to respond earlier but don't get online much when I'm in Iowa City.
Love and thanks,
Mariam

Caregiver to father,Frank -Tonsil SCC spread to base of tongue 2 lymph, T2N2M0 stage 4a, IMRT 35x, Erbitux 8x-stopped after 5 due to thrush infection and strp infection in PEG,diag Aug 07 tx concluded Nov 8 07 PEG issues Inpatient Oct 8th-Nov 8th.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Mariam, I know you ae tired also- hope yu can get some rest. It is a long haul. Let me know if you hae any problems getting the suction machine. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Mariam Offline OP
OP Offline

Update.
We are a week behind. First he was hospitalized with thrush and suction machine, then due to a PEG tube that probably wasn't inserted correctly and crappy hospital care on a wing I have since found out is notoriously bad - He got Cellulitus around the PEG site and most of his belly. He went to intensive for a while and then hospitalized on a good clean surgical floor.
The only good part is that they switched him from Morphine to Fentanyl sp? and he is at least acting like himself. He has not complained once even though he can't even eat through his tube or talk or drink water etc.
The worst part of all of this (for me) is that he spiralled down and his system went completely out of control while I was "managing" everything and totally present. Makes me super angry and feel redundant.
Anyway, he had to stop all cancer treatment for one week, but continued radiation today...I think too early but I'm not there this time of week and I'm not a Doctor now am I?
It seems like everything that could go wrong has and I'm not even worried about cancer anymore...Just whether so and so washed their hands, pneumonia, strep, staph, blood clots and BABY UNIVERSITY DOCTORS PRACTICING ON MY DAD.
Spit. Spit. Spit.
PS JAM they gave us a suction machine, but thank you so much for offering it

Caregiver to father,Frank -Tonsil SCC spread to base of tongue 2 lymph, T2N2M0 stage 4a, IMRT 35x, Erbitux 8x-stopped after 5 due to thrush infection and strp infection in PEG,diag Aug 07 tx concluded Nov 8 07 PEG issues Inpatient Oct 8th-Nov 8th.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

oh, Mariam...you two have been through so much! I'm sorry to hear your news~Keep us posted as to his progress..things HAVE to get better!

Thinking of you!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Chin up Mariam things can only get better .

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
JAM Offline

Marian, hang in! Easy to say-hard to do-we know!
Glad to know he got a suction machine. You can challange the Baby Docs by asking alot of questions and insisting on answers- make them squirm- it will further their learning experience.
Wishing you well. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users