Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#51616 07-10-2006 01:52 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I hope everyone is doing well! Charlie is slowing starting to improve and I am so proud of his progress and of him! This has been quite a journey.
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on preventing reoccurance. I know that you really cant, but I have been loading Charlie up with anti-cancer fighting foods and truthfully- I am a little out of control with it. I ordered this tumor fighting drink- its so much money per month and we can hardly afford it, but I feel better knowing that he has it.
Has anyone expierenced this? As a caretaker,I found that it is hard to "let go".

Charlie also got his PEG tube out and it looks like he has a second belly button, (good thing we have a good sense of humor)is this common? Does anyone know if the hole will fill up and just look like a scar?

Delia- Caregiver and fiancee to Charlie ,age 30,(SCC of Larnyx-Stage IV) chemotherapy and radiation- no surgery finished tx:4/7/06 SURVIVIOR!
#51617 07-10-2006 04:57 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Delia,

Mine is 1.5 years out and looks like a small navel. I don't mind. I doubt if it will ever fill out and be smooth.

Sounds like you may be overdoing it on the supplements though. I healthy balanced diet with lots of grains and veggies should do the trick. I avoid smoke and alcohol now. I think your tumor fighting drink is suspicious. If it were truly tumor fighting, I think the medical establishment would be using it.

I tried apricot seeds, etc. when I was diagnosed. I have decided to just try to live a healthy life and eat right. I think it is the best thing we can do.

I'm happy for you and Charlie and wish y'all the best. Lets pray we all stay in remission.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
#51618 07-10-2006 05:59 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

A little under a year since my PEG was removed. At first, the indentation was as deep as my navel, but now that I'm eating normally and trying to gain back the weight, it's filling in and flattening out. I've comtemplated telling folks it's an old gunshot wound or scar from a knife fight (anything to make it sound tough, because I can't help but think I've been involved in a real battle)

My cousin dropped off a bottle of Xango along with some amazing claims of "cancer fighting" and I have yet to even try it. She's also involved in selling some sort of xiolite drops (I'm not real sure of the spelling on that) that is claimed to have helped people with cancer. I'm real leery about trying anything that even sounds quacky and some of this stuff does. I'd much rather spend my money on enjoyable foods than any of this alternative junk. But everyone else's mileage may vary.

A good hunk of cheesecake or peanut buster parfait from Dairy Queen will really give me a boost.

Jen

#51619 07-10-2006 09:41 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Delia,

I'm skeptical of any "cancer-fighting" supplement -- and if it's one that's breaking your bank account (while inflating the bank account of whoever is pushing it), I suspect you'll find it on the Quackwatch site.

Over the years since I finished my treatment, I've concentrated on getting a daily multivitamin, eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, and having regular followup visits with my doctors.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#51620 07-10-2006 09:43 AM

P.S. -- I'm with Jen about the therapeutic value of cheesecake. laugh

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#51621 07-10-2006 02:27 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Delia, my husband now has 3 belly buttons smile
Foods That Fight Cancer
Fruits: Red and purple grapes and grape juice, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
Vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, mustard greens, collard greens, chicory, Swiss chard, tomatoes, and garlic
Beans: Lentils, soybeans, and peas
Whole grains: Brown rice, whole wheat, oatmeal, air-popped popcorn, wild rice, kasha, and tabbouleh. {from the Cancer Connection]

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#51622 07-11-2006 04:40 AM

I agree with Amy. The only things I know are the antioxident properties found in fruits and veggies and whole grains seem to be good for you anyway. I would stop buying the drinks. Like weight loss pills, if they were really that good, you probably would need a prescription for them because some company would want to make lots of money off of it.

DX on 05/01/06 with SCC of right tongue. 05/11/06 surgery-tumor 1.2cm & 4 cm clear margins & parital glos. & neck dissection with removal of 34 nodes/1 positive at 4mm)T1N1MO
35 IGRT & 3 cycles of chemo (1 cisplatin & 2 carbo-complete on 8/9/06.
#51623 07-13-2006 04:57 AM

Hi Delia:

I wanted to respond the question you asked in your first post about caregivers having difficulty letting go. It's a very true phenomonen that hits like a ton of very large bricks once the active treatment phase is over. Most caregivers say they feel like they have focus, and purpose, and are "doing something" during the active phase of treatment when the surgery, XRT, and/or chemo is being given.

The phase after, known as "watchful waiting", the time when your loved one has follow-up visits, and screens for recurrence, is usually the most difficult for caregivers to bear because it feels that there is no control over the outcome.Interestingly, most survivors do well in this phase and the caregivers become more anxious.This can last for variable amounts of time and can wax and wane around appointments and follow-up scans.

I also think this is very transitional time for a caregiver who wants desperately to see the person he/she loves as a survivor, but fears that he/she will remain helpless to the experience of cancer that permanently changed your life together and your relationship. Part of the process is also learning that the survivor needs you less when you still may feel you need to hover.

My husband Dave, almost 4 years past treatment for tonsil cancer, told me around year 2 post-treatment,that we needed to compromise because my anxiety around his survivorship was making him nervous. So, now he goes to his medical appointments solo but calls me immediately afterward because he knows I will be frantic until I hear.I also prepare of list of my questions which he reviews with his doctor so I do feel a part of the process.

I tend to get especially anxious around the time of the anniversary of his diagnosis (August). I am both grateful of getting closer to that almighty fiver year mark and fearful that something will happen to prevent us from getting there.

In short, it is most often an anxiety game for the caregivers. Its' important for you to find a safe place for you to vent your fears about letting go so you can be fully present for the person you love and actively try to let him reclaim life in a new and different way.

Easier said than done but lots of good people at OCF to help...

Best,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#51624 07-13-2006 07:12 AM
OP Offline

Thanks Kim- I have tears- you were so right. It is so hard and I feel so anxious.

I got the drink yesterday and Charlie hates it. He is so mad that I make him drink it. What I wouldnt do to make everything taste good for him!

Thank you everyone who responded, it means alot to not feel alone.

Charlie definatley has 2 belly buttons, but in his own words, "it could be worse- I could have lost a whole body part!"

Delia- Caregiver and fiancee to Charlie ,age 30,(SCC of Larnyx-Stage IV) chemotherapy and radiation- no surgery finished tx:4/7/06 SURVIVIOR!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23