Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
elem510 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

My husband has been doing great 18 months after his treatment for stage IV tonsil cancer. He had rad, chemo and a radical modified neck disecton. His ENT ordered a chest Xray at his last visit which showed a spot on his "chest". Now we are scheduled for a CT scan on Mon. nite. I realize the signifigance of this, but I am hoping some one out there can give me something encouraging to hang on to while I wait for the other shoe to fall. Thanks LM

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi there LM,

There have been a number of post here from people that received comments like "suspicious" or "areas of interest" that turned out to not be related to the cancer. Radiation will cause scarring to the lungs that will show up on an X-ray. At least one poster here had a lung lobectomy after such "suspicious area" was seen, which turned out not to be cancer at all. X-rays can have problems just because of poor processing technique.

Please remind yourselves this could very easily be not serious. Your doctor is correct to follow this up but you don't have to worry yet. (I know that is hard)

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Kudo's to Mark for some sound advise!!! If you go back and read some older post's this is not uncommon to have x-rays that show some concern. Alot of times they turn out to be scar tissue. Try and think positive.

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
elem510 Offline OP
OP Offline

I want to thank you guys for responding to my posting re my husbands chest XRay and pending CT scan. Well the good news is that the spot is not a mass. Could be an infiltrate or maybe scar tissue. Thanks for being there, it helps to be able to talk about these things with someone who understands. Happy New Year. LM

Hi LM,
I was so very happy to read your post. I thought alot about you and your husband after reading about the situation and I prayed that it would turn out the way it has. Looks like both of you will have an AWESOME New Year!! Thanks for giving us the good news.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
elem510 Offline OP
OP Offline

What a great feeling to know that people I have never met care as much as the folks here on the board. Your the greatest. Happy and Healthy New Year to all. LM

OH YIPPIE!

That will put a little extra something in your dance steps New Year's eve! laugh laugh laugh :p

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23