Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi,

I thought I would post in this new

Caregiver to Eric
Squamous Cell Carcinoma, L. Tonsil
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now
#50511 08-22-2003 03:39 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Jack,
Very well spoken and I can't think of a thing to add!

I am grateful that Eric is doing better.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#50512 08-22-2003 06:08 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Gary.

You have been a real source of encouragement and I am glad that I read you are starting to get some of your weight back.

After listening to how your dogs helped you during your radiation I took my wheaten terrier to Eric's often. My dog was attacked by a pit bull around the same time as Eric's neck dissection so Eric found it very amusing and ironic that they both had neck stitches and drainage tubes at the same time. We have a very amusing picture of both of them in neck bandages.

Jack

Caregiver to Eric
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now
#50513 08-22-2003 08:38 PM

That's a terrific story Jack, thanks for sharing that. There's nothing like a good dog story to warm the heart. :-)

One of my greatest fears is that one of my Bichon Frises will be attacked in front of my own house. We have pit bulls and poorly trained German Shephards in the neighborhood. My oldest female (Peaches) got attacked on the front porch one time. I keep a 12G with 00 buck close at hand and I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Pepper spray works pretty good I understand. That's what all the mailpersons and meter readers carry. Be sure to shake it often if you use it - it tends to settle and buy the highest quality you can get. Be sure to buy "practice", inert, ones to work on your aim. It takes some practice to get the most effectiveness out of it. You should be able to find them at any fine gun store. (this applies to you ladies or others also who use Mace or pepper spray for self defense). Being a short person all my life (and bullied in my youth), self defense is a passionate subject for me. Sorry for getting off topic...

I'm gaining weight so fast, I am starting to wonder when to switch to low fat! I am regularly exercising to restore muscle tone. I noticed also that the weight is coming back very well distributed and at about 2-3 lbs a week.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#50514 08-23-2003 12:23 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi, jack, very well said........But, I`s like to address number 4........Don`t forget to take care of yourself........Big Problem, I don`t. I`ve had therapist say I talk like I`m only taking care of one person, not 2, meaning me.My world revolves around taking care of Packer, period.......I`ve managed over the past two years to develope a lovely case of anorexia nervosa, I realize this is because it`s one of the things I can control. We live a good distance from both our families, so I`m it. Since I`m a nurse, I`ve done all the nursing care, which is fine, because I don`t trust anyone else to do it. My idea of taking care of myself is taking a multivitamin.So, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.......I`ve already done the obsessive compulsive shopping, after i realized that clothes actually come in a size 0. I just simply can`t think of taking care of myself........Dee

#50515 08-23-2003 12:47 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Jack, I am a fairly new member who just completed surgery on 7/31/03. I am waiting to start my rad in a couple of weeks. I wanted you to know your post was one of the most informative posts I have read so far. It really helps to become somewhat educated about potential problems I may run into. You express the potential problems very well. Thank you. Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#50516 08-23-2003 09:22 AM
OP Offline

Dee,

I wish I had some answers for you. I don't. If I were in your position I think I would be doing exactly what you are doing. I have been following Packers prognosis from your posts and my heart goes out to you. I was very lucky that Eric had lots of people living around here that were willing and able to help. That is a luxury that not everyone has.

Sometimes for me while waiting in the hospital during a fluid IV replenishment or during an appointment, taking care of myself meant finding these pink cookies that the hospital sold in various places. The cookies usually were sold out so I had to check three different locations. I would worry that I wasn't with Eric, but then I would remember that I was in the hospital and they could watch him for a while.

Mark advised me that if I didn't take care of myself I couldn't be as effective helping Eric. I guess that means different things for different people, but for me sometimes it was a simple as being willing to abandon Eric in the hospital for fifteen minutes while I sought out my cookie. I also tried to get sleep, eat in the morning instead of just slamming down coffee and flying out the door and I wished I had exercised. While Eric has lost about 40 lbs I have gained 10!

I also found that writing here was helping me take care of myself as I found good advice and I believe everyone here has the same basic motive; to help the cancer patient become cancer free. While people have different opinions as to how to best achieve that goal, that is my impression of why we are here.

You and Packer are in my thoughts and I have nothing but the highest esteem for the role you are playing in his treatment. I am glad you mentioned a therapist/counselor, to me taking an hour a week to see someone is another way of taking care of yourself. Counseling has been beneficial to me, it is like having a coach or one more person in my corner, particularly someone objective who is trying to help me make the best decisions I can.

Thank you for posting and for sharing your challenge. Hopefully some others can give you more suggestions.

Jack

Caregiver to Eric
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now
#50517 08-23-2003 09:46 AM

Thanks Jack, the cookie thing hit home, my son was in the hospital in May, it was touch and go there for a while, if he was having a good hour, we would run out and stuff ourselves.......I became particularly obsessed with a cheese danish they sold in the gift shop, even brought some home with me, so the pink cookie deal, I totally understand.......maybe, I do do things for myself that I don`t really realize, and maybe it`s just that simple.........A PINK COOKIE.........Dee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23