Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50451 11-07-2007 08:46 AM
ov_bm Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone, hope you are all well. I was wondering, in Toronto, they don't have a walk for oral cancer, I know they have other types of charities, but would anyone know how to set it up? I didn't even know what oral cancer was until my fiance got it, I want to find a way to spread the word, so people are more aware. I seen that in the states there is a walk for Oral cancer, and I would hope to do the same in Toronto, I just don't know how to go about it.

I would like to do it in honour of him and all of the people going through this, but at the same time, I would hope to raise awareness and help to raise funds to help with the research.

If anyone has any advice on this, please let me know. Thank you.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It's a major undertaking, and to be really good, needs several good partners, perhaps a dental school or cancer treatment center that could do free screenings on the same day with the walk event. First go to the events part of the OCF web site, and then go to - past events. Take a quick read of some of the walks and events that OCF has been involved in, both small and large. This will give you some ideas. But it really takes a group of individuals to put it together, since the logistics of it can be overwhelming. We have a "cookbook" that we have been assembling on how to do this with NYU who has two events under their belt with OCF so far. I would be happy to see that a copy gets emailed to you. If after all this you still feel like you would like to try and pull this off, think 6-8 months in the future and then you begin working a timeline backwards from then on how to get sponsors, partners, permits, PR, and so much more and all the rest that goes along with it. If you really want to do this I will help you, but mark my words it is a major commitment of time to pull one off well. I have some good conats in Canada that might be starting points for a partnership.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi, count me in, OV BM. If I can help I will. I work full time and live just outside of Peterborough, Ontario. My husband had oral cancer also and I think we must spread the word. Had it not been for this forum I would have went mad...
Carol Ann Best.

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hey momma smile

long time no hear.It was so good to read your words"my husband HAD cancer",glad all is well

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Liz...To date all clear here. 5 months post treatment) It was a devastating journey for us, one I will never forget, not to mention change our lives for good. I hope you are well. Goodness know you have been through far worse. Take care...of yourself...Thanks for all the advice... and encouragement. (hats off to you)
Carol Ann...

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I know me and my family would like to take part in any awareness campaign for Oral Cancer. There is really nothing out there and most people I speak with have never heard of it and that included me before I got it!
I live in Port Perry which is about one hour from the big smoke (Toronto)

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
ov_bm Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Brian, thank you so much for your response. I am still very interested in doing this, I have started to do some reasearch and I will continue to do so. I'm just not sure how to go about getting different sponsors to help out. I am also interested in the "cookbook" you mentioned, I can use all the help I can get, how do I go about getting that? I understand that this is a huge responsibility, but I'm doing it for the cause, so I am willing to give it my all.

For all the others who responded, thank you - Toronto needs to have the awareness as well.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics