Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi folks,

I'm a Chicago-based PR person who is assisting Brian with some communications and publicity projects for the foundation. I thought you might be interested in this letter that the Chicago Tribune published last Saturday from Brian.

Keri

-----

My heart sank as I read about Grant Achatz's diagnosis of oral cancer ("Cancer strikes top chef in his prime; Chemotherapy treatments could rob Chicago's rising culinary star of his ability to taste," Page 1, July 24).

As a Stage 4 oral cancer survivor, I know the punishing journey that lies ahead.

What helped me, as much as the excellent medical care I received, was the unwavering support of my family and friends.

I truly wish Achatz the same good fortune and success.

As your reporters note, the face of oral cancer is changing fast. What was once thought a disease that struck mostly tobacco users is now gaining a foothold among the young, the educated and particularly women. And unfortunately, while cancer rates in general are declining, oral cancer is on the rise in America.

Having endured the pain, sickness and depression of treatment, I wish I could persuade everyone to do just one thing: Get an annual screening for oral cancer. It is painless, inexpensive and could save your life.

If you ever develop a discoloration, a sore or lump in your mouth that does not heal or go away within 14 days--even if it's painless--see a doctor. Dentists and ENTs are more up to speed on the nuances of what is dangerous and what isn't, so I would seek their opinion first.

Oral cancer is a highly survivable disease when caught early. Unfortunately, about 70 percent of the time, it is caught as a late Stage 3 or 4 disease, with significantly reduced survival rates.

We must and can change this.

By the way your writers did a good job of getting the oral cancer story right. I see articles routinely about the disease from our clipping service and major print publications around the country that are full of inaccurate information.

Brian R. Hill
Founder and executive director
The Oral Cancer Foundation Inc.
Newport Beach, Calif.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Keri

I would be glad to help. Are you looking for a start to finish short story that would encapsulate from start to finish in a one chapter episode?

Post here/ explain here or email me. I feel I may have a unique story if you look at the whole scenario. But by reading this website have found that we all are unique and all have their own spin-offs. And the one most common denominator is that we are all diagnosed way to late even when the disease was hollering "I'm cancer, look at me! Do you not see me?"....Why do you not just do the cheapest and smartest thing immediately...A BIOSPY!".

TO ME IT IS AS EASY AS, OK, WE HAVE A CUT.

SOME OF THE STORIES OF MISSED DIAGNOSIS ARE APPAULING BECAUSE THE EASIEST AND CHEAPEST WAY OF RULING OUT CANCER ARE BEING "WOOD-WINKED". PUT A BAND AID ON IT. IS THERE IN MORE THAN TWO WEEKS ALL THE DAMB BELLS AND WHISTHLES SHOULD BE RINGING AND HOLLORING, "DO A DAMB BIOPSY AND QUIT YOUR GUESSING WITH MY LIFE".

Petey frown

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Keri

Any information I can give you I will. I am organizing a thing at our local fair to raise awareness and promote how important ealry detection is ,

Sharlee

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics