Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks Mark/Jack: there is alot of great info out here. I'm glad I found this site. I wish I could get Dan (husband) to check out some of the survivor stories here. No interest. He had the first week of radiation this past week....5 rad and 1 chemo. He is having such a terrible time with thick mucous.....any suggestions? He had nausea and vomiting last night and the mucous was horrible. The soda and salt water don't help much.
thanks,
Michelle

Michelle
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Michelle,

I just posted a reply to the mucous question in your previous post. Sure hope some of the suggestions help.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
OP Offline

Rosie: many thanks....I'm having some problems moving around this site....I guess I'll learn. I'll check it out now!

Tks,
Michelle

Michelle
OP Offline

Rosie: many thanks....I'm having some problems moving around this site....I guess I'll learn. I'll check it out now!

Tks,
Michelle

Michelle
OP Offline

Rosie: I'm sorry, but I can't find the post about the mucous problems. I guess I'm an idiot and sure feel like one for asking, but would you mind reposting?

Thanks,
Michelle confused

Michelle

Sure, here it is.

I'm sure other people will give you some suggestions for coping with the thick mucous, but the first thing that comes to my mind is advice that I received from Joanna, another OCF member. Roll up some gauze squares (4x4" ones work well, but any gauze will do) and have Dan put them in the gutter between his teeth and cheeks. The gauze will soak up a lot of the mucous. This works especially well at night, allowing one to sleep longer before having to spit or wipe out the mucous. As for wiping out the mucous, Puffs brand tissues are strong enough to do the job, but are soft enough to not irritate.

Since Dan is in a weakened state, I think he would be helped by having a suction machine similar to the ones dentists use. If the doctor writes an order for one, many insurance companies will pay for it. We rented a portable Yankeuer (sp?) from a medical supply company. It was a huge help. Sleeping with the head elevated can help, too. Many OCF members have slept in a recliner for weeks and even months during and after treatment. Having sufficient moisture in the air is also important. Running a humidifier can be a great help in keeping the mucous thinned out.

Rainbows & hugs,
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23