Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#47929 03-27-2007 03:28 PM
sharlee Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Well it is official the tonsils are now comin out ? Any advice for that , They arent saying it is cancer ...just poor immune system ..enlarged tonsils and a history of head an neck cancer. I am 6 weeks out of my "cancer" surgery ..But DR says that Tonsillectomy hurts ? I told him please after what you just did to me I trust you and I can do it. But I have to tell you I am very very nervous..really just wanna be all done and after this it will be another one to have 2-3 teeth surgically removed ...UGHHHHH so any siggesttions or info would be great !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#47930 03-27-2007 05:24 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Sharlee, after what you've already been through, this should be a walk in the park. Tonsils are rougher as an adult, but I would be really surprised if you found it even close to the same thing as your recent surgery.

As for the teeth, I just started on my extraction/implant process a month ago, and I was really surprised at how easy it all went. I was back on my feet within a day, and I'm sure you're going to be fine too!
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#47931 03-27-2007 10:21 PM

Sharlee-
As long as you don't have radiation burns in your throat to contend with, your tonsil surgery shouldn't be too bad. I've had mine out twice! Both out in 8th grade only to have one reappear and removed again at 50! Throat will be sore for a day or two. And you will spit a lot of blood the first day. Plan on drinking milkshakes for a couple of days (or frappicinos)- Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
#47932 03-28-2007 04:29 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Sharlee.
You hang in there...Wayne & Kris are right, You've
been thru much worse, and you are strong. A walk in the park is a "stretch", but hey!, what's a little blood spittle at this point in the game!
I hope GOD will forgive me for my morbid humor, but it's the only thing sustaining me right now.
When I read your post, I had no words, so I plagiarized a little shocked
This disease will Not weaken my Faith, but it sure is weighting on my mind.
I do not know who coined the phrase "the club that nobody wants to belong to", but I heard it from you on your first post response to me. Others and myself have used it. "It Fits"!!
But no one told me how high the "dues" were if
you did not have insurance??? I spent another humbling day "fighting" for the "right" to let them dissect my head and neck, cut out my tongue, nuke my throat, and throw in a couple of bags of chemo for a in between snack!
Is it just me?, or does "Press 1 For English" piss you off too!
I gotta go, I got buttons to push!
As always, love & prayers to all.
PeteyB

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#47933 03-28-2007 08:22 AM
sharlee Offline OP
OP Offline

Petey,

You always make me laugh !!! ANd you are right without our sense of humor where would we be !! I know somtimes I say things and people look at me funny and I am like HEY I gotta get through this right ! Might as well find somthing good or humorous about it ! Dr yesterday kept tellin me how "GOOD" I looked ..so finally I said to hi "well I have lost 25 lbs since this all started and I did my hair and makeup LOL " He laughhed I reminded him he had never seen me all "dolled UP" ..He agian laughed and told me he was happy I had my sense of humore and again told me how good I looked !! my friends say he was flirting LOL, i say he was being nice and complememtnig his own work ..LOL Either was he is a wonderful Dr ..evn though he dosent appear old enough to be one ..I have the utmost confidence in him !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#47934 03-28-2007 11:37 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey gang,

I've been sitting here in the background for the last few months because I've been having such a hard time handling the end stage of my Aunt's illness but I had to laugh at Sharlee's post. I may have never had cancer but I am the veteran of the reproductive health wars. I've had nine pelvic surgeries, a couple of them- pretty damned serious and I can tell you for a fact, that no matter how much pain I was in or the fact that I couldn't stand up straight without holding my lower abdomen with a pillow (how many times can we go through this?) if I had my make-up on and my hair was blown out, EVERYONE in my doctor's office told me how good I looked! It actually pissed me off at times because I wouldn't be taken seriously! My husband started telling me to go in for my exams looking like something the dog threw up. THEN they'd take me seriously. So after one bout of bleeding for 7 1/2 weeks, with no make-up, certainly no blush, looking gray in the face and hanging onto the doorway for support-finally I was taken seriously.

Hey, you know what? You do what it takes!

Petey B, you're a rip! Thanks for the giggles. I'm praying for you all the way. You do what it takes friend. DON'T make the same mistake my Aunt made.

Sharlee, eat every frozen delight you never allowed yourself before you lost the 25 pounds.

Hugs from Long Island,
Lisa

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.
#47935 04-27-2007 08:01 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I had my tonsils removed and it wasn't that bad. Sounds like you have gone through the worst of it. Everybody I have talked to says the RAD is much worse than removal of the tonsils.

Oral Squamous Carcinoma in the right tonsil, Surgery April 5th 2007, Non Smoker, Stage 3. Started IMRT treatment May 30th.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23