Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46615 03-22-2006 12:14 PM
davew Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

so everyone told me my hair will probably fall out, but nobody gave me any info on getting rid of all the dead pieces. Mechanically speaking that is....

just before week 3 of my 1st chemo round I was in the shower washing my hair and noticed that a lot was falling out when I touched or pulled on it. Not all but a lot. They said it may thin or may fully fall out, so I didn't know which was going on. I did know that I didn't want to be shedding like a dog all around the house, and cloging the drains, etc. So I broke out the buzzers and buzzed it down to 1/4" in length. Seemed like a reasonable thing to do....

the end result however, was that after a few days the dead hairs didn't fall out on their own. They sayed in and hurt like needles when you touched them or rested your head on anything. I had also gone without shaving fr a few days to avoid nicks, and my facial hair was doing the same. Staying stuck in place but painful to touch.

So I am here asking how you guys got rid of your hair. The females around me all suggested waxing, but not all my hair is dead and falling out. I have a lot of fine small healthy hairs that I don't want to rip out of my head or face. I tried some tape, the way you would to get lint off a sweater... it worked pretty well on my head, but not on my face. I tried different tapes of varying stickyness, but no good, and the adhesive isn't the best for your skin anyhow.... I don't want to shave because then I will have just tiny ends stuck in my face that will never come out and get overgrown with skin (this is already happening to some of them)...a facial is an option but they will just use wax I think....

any ideas...I know I'm not the only one living this farse.

BTW - I'm in week two of round 2 of chemo, and this is my biggest problem. Things have been going really well and I am responding really well without hardly any adverse side effects. I'm sooooooo thankful for this.

thanks
dave

#46616 03-22-2006 01:45 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I went to a barber and had my head shaved. Let it grow back naturally. During the first couple of weeks, the prickly feeling will be there because of the shortness of the hair, but it goes away.

Steve Daib

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
#46617 03-22-2006 05:07 PM
davew Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks steve...

i already shaved my head. But the dead short hairs still fall out, of course. The problem is it got all patchy and the hairs that were in dead folicles but still in place would get pushed in and hurt a lot, like needles in my head. after 8 years in the military I'm pretty fimilar with shaved heads, this is a very different issue. the trouble is the hair is too short to pull out and too dead to leave in, and interspearsed with healthy hairs that I would like to leave...

i need something sticky enough to grab the dead hair but not so sticky that it pulls out the healthy hair that I can put on my head and face to remove all the dead ones....

BTW- the 996 sold last week... frown

-dw

#46618 03-22-2006 07:42 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I've been shaving my head for years. I used to use a Gillette Track III but with the infection risk during treatment I bought a good quality electric and have been using it ever since. The hair follicles in the radiation field died and fell out. The hair loss from chemo was fairly minimal and it grew back back. No matter I still shave it. Maybe you could benefit from waxing but have them use the hard wax (like bikini wax) and not the sticky pine tar stuff.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23