Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 62 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 61 62
#45732 07-30-2005 03:29 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I remember thinking how great it must be to have radical surgery and be up and about so fast. You were lucky. When they did the surgery on my larynx I was to stay basically in bed for a week, do no running around as to make sure it never started bleeding and I was on a liquid diet and pain meds plus nausea pills, steroids and antacids.

You lucked out in that one buddy. When you have teeth pulled you need to rest not run around. Do I have to ground you again? hahahahahaha Years ago I had all my teeth pulled but five all at the same time. Afterward I came home and cooked supper that night for my kids and my hubby.

About ten years ago I had two loose teeth and was broke as a dog so I sat at the kitchen table, downed 2 double shots of JD and had my sons friend pull them out with the pliars. The first one flew out and bounced off the ceiling and the kid almost fainted. His eyes were as big as plates. hahahahahaha

Hows that for the laugh of the day? Oh by the way I am a tough old broad don't cha know? hahahahahaha

Bless you,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#45733 07-30-2005 06:08 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

good to see you're getting back to your ol' self Barb.. :-)

Not much new here...

Teeth are MUCH better today!

No real pain in the wisdom teeth sockets, or the fillings.

Slight "cold" sensation in the new fillings, but gradually resolving.

Some pain from the injection sites, but not bad.

Other than that, running around the lodge like a crazy man trying to tie up all the loose ends before we head East for 2 months!

I can't believe we are leaving this place for 8 weeks...I'll be worried, but oh well...once the side effects kick in, I'll be like: "Stevenswood, who :p ??"

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#45734 07-30-2005 04:49 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Great news about your surgery. I have to agree with Barb, you were lucky. I am 3 months out from my neck dissection and I still do not have full function of my right arm. It is better (I couldnt lift it at all for the first 3 weeks), but still have some discomfort and trouble lifting at the end of the day.
I also was scared of the surgery. I was so afraid people would look at me like I was a freak for having a big slit accross my throat. You are right, no one notices unless I point it out.

Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-intermediate grade. Removed 3/05. Additional surgery to get clean margins and selective neck dissection 4/05. 30 lymph nodes removed. All clear!!
#45735 07-30-2005 10:14 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Michael,

I just got back from a 2 week vacation, caught up on your posts and although I really would not have been able to comment about your radiation, chemo etc. I would have told you to go back to the surgeon that removed your wisdom teeth. It sounds like you had a minor dry socket, but it appears to have healed as your pain has gone away. It may possibly come back, so keep that in mind.

As far as the fillings are concerned, either silver or white composite will be fine.

Good luck on the 10th.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#45736 07-31-2005 03:01 AM
OP Offline

Yes, the DDS at Anderson thinks so too.

I think mainly the pain I associated with the Wisdom tooth extraction may have been just pain that area due to all the injections of lidocaine. He must have shot me up at least 20 times and moved the needle around in an effort to get it into the nerves.

So, the sites themselves didn't have significant pain...does that make any sense?

Should I schedule a followup visit? What is the tx for "dry socket" and do you think the local dentist I just saw on Fri to do the 4 fillings would have noticed the "dry socket" if I have that in either site?

Thanks!

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#45737 08-01-2005 01:47 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Michael,

I work for a dentist. Is the pain really bad like a toothache or just sore? A dry socket is painful. The tx is just usually a medicated cotton ball in the extraction site.You may have to go back a few times. But I think it may be sore from all the injections like you said. That can happen.Also can be sore from the Root Planning & Scaling (deep cleaning). If it continues I would definately call him for a quit check before you start rad.?chemo just to be sure there is no infection. My friend Rod had to have all his teeth removed just prior to tx. This was very rough for a 37 year old guy.I know this is very hard on you but remember sometimes, someone else has it much worse. Just think, after this is all over, you will have a beautiful smile to show the world!You can do this Michael!!! Rod was the biggest baby that ever lived(and he knows it)he was stage 4b...it was one year on July 12 that his treatment ended.He got a great check up... Life is good for him right now! Have faith & fight this Sh** as hard as you can!We are all rooting for you!God bless!Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
#45738 08-01-2005 02:58 AM

I had (have) a port because I had amifostine shots every day of treatment (until the last couple of weeks when we went to every other day). If you are just getting the three chemos it would probably not be worth it. Getting one is a surgical procedure--they do knock you out-- though it's very fast and doesn't hurt much at all after the surgery. Its worth it if you are thinking of getting amifostine or any other daily kind of injections.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#45739 08-01-2005 05:31 AM

Michael,

A dry socket typically starts 3 days after the removal of the tooth. It manifests itself as a radiating pain and usually occurs with lower wisdom teeth. It will travel from the back and radiate to the front area around the chin. The pain is usually pretty severe. This is the typical case, however it can be of short duration and only cause minor discomfort.

The dentist that did your fillings would probably not have looked at the extraction sites if you didn't mention to him that you were having any pain in the area.

If I remember correctly, your pain after the wisdom teeth extractions, started before you went to the dentist for the fillings and scaling. Therefore, it is possible that your pain was due to the injections for the extractions or it could have been a minor dry socket. The fact that you are feeling better is a good sign. In my area, we usually see a wisdom tooth patient in one week for a post-op visit to check healing. If the patient develops a dry socket, they will usually call before the week's up.

At this point there is probably no reason for you to go back to the surgeon, unless you feel compelled to. Dry sockets don't return, if that was what it was. The disappearance of pain after a dry socket would mean that the bone is healing.

Hope this has helped.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#45740 08-01-2005 05:35 AM
OP Offline

Maureen, i don't think I have any infection at either site or from the fillings. I don't have that sensation of infection, nor is there any heat or significant pain. Plus, no fevers.

Today, the sockets are better still, I just think I'm hyper-sensitive to anything going on with my body. :-(

My gums and the empty sockets feel more "itchy" than anything...I know that sounds weird, but I'm hoping it just a sign of healing.

More than anything, I'm still battling this cold I caught on the plane. First it was just in my throat, then my chest, and now my sinuses...I was up all night with a runny nose and congestion...Now a major sinus headache!!! UUUgh! I was hoping I'd be fit for this last before tx starts to get a ton of stuff done here, plus enjoy the last few days...OH well.

Nelie, you're right about the port. I've asked both the Dr and the RO about Amifostine, but they both say not to use it, so I don't think I'll need the port...

I'll let you know :-)

Thank you for the sweet, uplifting words, I appreciate it!

#45741 08-01-2005 06:08 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Did they give you a reason why you shouldn't use the Amifostene? Amifostene is now given SUBQUTANEOUSLY (a little shot under the skin). It is so odd how there are so many different things to do/not do?
Sorry you feel so crappy ; (
My dad is starting to get the sore throat from 2 weeks of radiation. He still has saliva!
Michael-are you doing any PT for your Jaw? My dad's team encouraged 7 times a day for 5 minutes for a whole year--
Get better soon!

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
Page 24 of 62 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 61 62

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics