Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42627 07-19-2003 09:39 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Bookaren,
I did have swallowing pain for a long time after radiation. I would just pop a morphine pill 15-30 minutes before eating and that helped. Also only one side of my throat was really in pain so I would direct the food to the "good" side, I was able to swallow most of the time. Abrasive foods like chicken that was too dry was the worst. I remember that the first real food I ate was a filet mignon cooked rare and it just slide right down and was it delicious! I have had setbacks it hasn't been a linear uphill trek by any means. I was just noticing all of the little differences between now (120days) and just a few short months ago. Like being able to chug a bottle of water - It would have choked me to death a month ago (everything had to be sipped carefully through a straw). Much of my post radiation pain was from ulcerations caused by thrush and not the mouth burns which seemed to heal fairly quickly. My mouth now develops a small amount of saliva during the day and swallowing it getting easier post rad. There are still some foods I can't eat yet like candy bars, cookies and crackers without lots of water. I lost 60 lbs because of my resistance to the feeding tube. Some have said that you relearn to eat faster without one, in my case I found that to be true. Today my eating patterns are almost the same as post "C". I am gaining about a lb a week, feel pretty good and have no tingling or numbness to speak of. I had IMRT to spare most of the salivary glands (and minimize radiation effects) and didn't have Amofostine or Salagen. I have days when I am just plain tired -usually my own doing from being too ambitious around the house or not monitoring my caloric intake. You must learn to be patient and to pace yourself. I have just recently tried singing again. I am a musician and lead and b/u vocalist but that's a little trickier. The dryness on the vocal cords can cause nodes. That's another thing I forget to mention (saliva is a vocal cord lubricant). In the beginning there were many mornings that I couldn't talk for hours after I got up. That's pretty much passed now. It REALLY does get better!

I do feel incredibly blessed. Even the rad techs were surprised how well I came through this (not that I didn't have my moments of intense suffering)

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#42628 07-19-2003 01:56 PM

Gary, thanks for answering back. I also had right side tonsil cancer which was removed surgically in November. Then I had radiation beginning Jan 9 for 6 weeks. Just curious, did you have any problem at all with phlegm? During radiation, I went thru major hell with heavy phlegm. Now, I have only a small bit every now and then, but during radiation I was gagging constantly due to the phlegm. Some people have the problem and some do not. Also, my voice gets very hoarse some days, perhaps from overuse, really do not know why. I constantly lubricate carrying a water bottle, however, some days my voice is very weak.I have come a long way, however, i do have my setbacks occasionally which throw me flat for a day or 2.

#42629 07-19-2003 02:20 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bookaren, talking about hoarseness of voice, I have something to share. In my case, at one time my voice could be very clear especially after sipping some water. But in another minute, without knowing why, it could be very hoarse. Sometimes friends who are not used to my change of voice would get worried about my hoarsenss. Then it was me who comforted them by saying that it would become better later. I also find that my voice tends to be better when talking over telephone and then it is worse after dinner. As I am a school teacher, I am anxious every time I step into the classroom because I am not sure if that lesson can be conducted in a clear or hoarse voice.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed inn 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#42630 07-19-2003 02:45 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My husband finished rad at the end of April. He is now begining to get hoarse at times. Anyone else have this? It has just been happening the last few days.

Thanks,
Cheryl

#42631 07-20-2003 03:42 AM

Karenng, That's why I love this website. Again, I find I am not the only one experiencing certain side effects. Yes, the same for me, one hour my voice is strong and clear, and then suddenly it is hoarse again. I was worried, but now that I know others experience it also, it is not so strange I guess. Wonder what causes that to happen?

#42632 07-20-2003 01:43 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Scar tissue on the lyrynx is the most likely culprit, a result of radiation. It gets better as time goes by, but If I raise my voice and yell, jut briefly, or if l lecture for about an hour, I will have it back for the rest of the day. That is from someone 5 years out. But it is a question that you sholuld pose to your doctors to be sure.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#42633 07-20-2003 05:30 PM

Bookaren,
I had a lot of problems early post radiation with hoarseness and sometimes I just couldn't talk. Some people lose their voice completely for a little while post radiation and this is a normal thing. Some of it was phlegm and some of it dryness. I couldn't answer the telephone before noon! My ENT recently told me that is is very easy to get nodes on the vocal cords because of the dryness. It is much better now and my voice is closer to normal than it has been. Keep that water bottle handy. I went through the major phlegm hell also after several weeks post rad it just suddenly stopped. I can remember times not wanting to go to sleep so as not to have to wake up to the phlegm nightmare - it just wore me out sometimes. BUT IT PASSES! Thank you GOD!

I am amazed that you lost 50 lbs WITH the feeding tube!

It sounds like your suffering is pretty much within the curve of the normal recovery process. Take no chances, always ask your doctor with any doubts, fears or concerns. I promise you it will get better.

Disclaimer: Since hindsight is always 20-20, I probably should have gotten a feeding tube. Whether is would have helped with all the nausea from the chemo or constipation is debatable. I was able to swallow virtually the entire time of treatment (albeit sometimes painfully). My fatigue levels also made it difficult to stay on top of the caloric intake. The feeding tube may have been useful there also. If in doubt - get the feeding tube.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics