Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Dear Friends

I haven't been able to post for a while as I have been quite busy, however I thought I would keep in touch to let you know that Mum had her Peg put in place last week.

The operation was a quick procedure in the Endoscopy unit of the hospital. It took only 15 minutes from the time they sedated her. She has to flush the Peg through with water twice a day until her operation next week. Today however we had to get the doctor out because she had a lot of swelling in her tummy, she also felt sick and was in a lot of pain. It turned out to be a slight infection. The doctor has prescribed some antibiotics.

Next Friday, 24th January 2003, mum will undergo a major operation to remove one quarter of her tongue, which will need skin graft from her left arm and vein from same arm for her neck. They are also going to remove lymp nodes in her neck as a precautionary measure. The operation means a radical neck dissection and an incision down the bottom of her lip and down through her chin, which they will then hold together with a metal plate or something.

It sure sounds awful but I know a lot of you have been through similar operations already and have come through them quite well. I am hoping that mum will be able to cope too.

She is under a lot of stress and can't sleep so the doctor has prescribed sleeping tablets. Emotions are running quite high in our family. One minute we are all hopeful of a positive outcome and another minute we are down in the depths of despair.

Please everybody, can I ask you to think of my mum and pray for her on Friday? Thanks.

I shall keep you posted as soon as I can after her op.

Take Care and God Bless.

Kathleen.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Kathleen,

I'm glad to hear your Mum's surgery will be soon. We are wishing her a swift recovery. My daughter had part of her tongue removed. She also had the mandibulotomy (chin split) and had a modified radical neck dissection. All very similar to what your Mum will have.

Heather did very well after surgery. She wouldn't hesitate to have the other side of her neck dissected if necessary. The surgery was much easier to get through than the radiation. Since your Mum probably isn't having any RAD, she should have a relatively short recovery time.

Wishing your Mum an easy surgery and a speedy recovery. smile

Rosemary

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Kathleen,

When I was diagnosed all I could think about was the cancer. When I was told that they, the surgeons, would be splitting my jaw open I forgot all about the cancer and worried about the operation. I was totally consumed by thoughts of the surgery. I don't want to minimize your concerns, but the surgery sounds a lot worse than it is. Don't get me wrong here, it is tough but not as bad as it sounds. I was amazed at how quickly the jaw healed. Try to keep your spirits up. I tried to look at the surgery as a good thing, it marked the beginning of a new and hopefully cancer free life.

My prayers are with you, your Mum and family.

Glenn

Kathleen,

My mother had surgery similar to your mom's in July 2002, came through the surgery well, and is now doing fine. You can't even tell that a part of her tongue is missing, nor does she notice it. She did not have any major problems eating nor with her speech. (Her doctors used artificial skin for the graft.)

The neck dissection was the easiest part of it all, according to my mother.

Best wishes to your Mum. We will be thinking about her!

P.S. As has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum, Xanax is helpful, both for the patient and the caregiver!

Sandra
My mother's caregiver
Diagnosed 6/02 (at 84) with Stage 2 tongue cancer; surgery 7/02
Diagnosed June 03 with recurrence of tongue cancer and cancer of soft tissue under ear
OP Offline

Dear Rosemary, Glenn and Joanne,

Thank you ALL so much for your kind messages. I have printed them out and I shall pass them on to my mum who I know will be extremely grateful for the support. I would also like to thank you Joanna for your personal message to me. I feel a lot better after reading about your experience. I shall be seeing mum again tomorrow and so I will pass on your positive message.

I went to visit mum today in order to help flush out the PEG Tube, which we have been advised to do until her surgery next week. She was very depressed and down about the whole thing. I hope that when I pass on your messages she will feel a lot better about the forth coming operation.

Thank you for all your good wishes and prayers. They are of course returned sincerely.

God Bless

Kathleen

Kathleen,
Please tell your mom not to be down about the PEG tube. I have had mine since August and it does not hold me back at all. It cannot be seen under clothes and it does not inhibit movement...I have played golf with it several times. It makes getting nutrition and taking medicine so easy that it is a pleasure to have.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23