Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Emmylou,

My husband also had bad pain this was caused by gas they put into the stomach. If you received discharged papers check them that was one of the items mention in when to notifying your doctor for I would call the Doctor and check with him now don't wait until tomorrow.

CG to Larry 61, 1st Dx 8-18-06 TlNoMo SCC Right Lateral Tongue- second Dx 1-25-07 Right neck dissection-T1N1Mo. Treatment started 3-20-07 Radiation & Etyhol Finish 5-31-07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Emmylou,

Curious what the outcome was with your husband, the pain and the PEG. Hope all is well!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Marg: Buzz slept sitting up in a chair last night...utterly refused to go to E.R., or to let me call the doctor...MEN! You can't live with 'em, and you just can't kill 'em....

I managed to get FOUR Oyxcodone in him before 1am, and he was okay, just as long as he didn't MOVE at all...

This morning he was much improved, and had a visit from the home-care nurse this afternoon, who checked the PEG site and said it looked okay.

We are scheduled for "chemo class" tomorrow afternoon, which should be interesting.

I was going to post earlier, but after responding to my pm's and e-mails, and reading the most recent posts, I didn't think Buzz' condition was anywhere near as important as some of the issues that others are having.

My heart hurts for everyone here...I get so excited when someone reaches a milestone in their treatment.

After reading John's eulogy to Lynn tonight, I just sat and cried.

Grandma always said "as long as there is breath, there is hope"...I keep repeating that...

God bless you all......

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

emmylue,
Keep your head up and keep going. It is not easy I know.

We all do our best with what we have. That is all we can ask of our selves.

We are cancer free until our next visit. We live for today during that time!! That is what I do. I hope this will help in some small way.

Do not think that Buzz condition is not important to us all. He is very important. If we can help him in any way, we will!! We want to help you as well.

Fighting Cancer is hard on everyone!! That means you too!! Take care and do not be afraid to email anyone for help.
bye For now..
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015

Hi Emmyloe

Voice of experience here, I had a lot of pain with my PEG and it turned out to be an abscess infection, Yeah it "looked" okay, "maybe a little red" he said, but after fighting it for 2 weeks, they finally decided it was infected. Now this was after I'd had it in for a month, but just be aware that this is a possibility.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Lois,

I would like to add this as well. Don't let Friday come if you still have concerns and Buzz is still in a lot of pain....the weekends are not the greatest time to get help. Voice of experience!

Also wanted to add this. Bill's belly got sores from the tape & gauze over his Peg site...we tried both paper tape(terrible) and cloth tape (better but not great.) So, I just "slid" one of those 2 X 2 drainage gauzes just under the flange at the insertion point and then used a large ace bandage wrapped all the way around front to back to hold the tube in place. Bill was so relieved to get rid of the tape and the ace bandage is soft and breathable. He now needs no gauze and just uses the ace. It allows him to move the tube tip around to different place but keep it upright and not leaking. Calls it his "bra." They are washable so get a couple to alternate. Bill keeps commenting how much more comfortable he is.

Good luck. Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Towards the end of using my PEG I too had a tape rash that was increasingly uncomfortable. I then started using a coaches lanyard for a whistle! Just detach the whistle but leave the clip. Slide the tube through and choke it at the narrow part. It kept the PEG tube adjustable, elevated to whatever position I needed, and allowed my skin to start healing.

Frank

SCC, dx July 2006,Stage II,front third of tongue, surgery Oct 16, 2006, radical neck dissection, 20 lymph nodes removed right side negative, tongue resection,IMRT Dec.2006-Jan.2007 45X,T2N0M0, no chemo. Roswell Park Cancer Institute Buffalo, NY.
OP Offline

Hi All! Thanks for your input and suggestions. Here's an update:

Buzz slept NONE last night, sitting upright in his lounge chair. He was still in much pain this morning, nausea, but no vomiting...I called the surgeon who did the PEG; he wanted to see Buzz at the hospital asap.

Buzz had a CT scan, and the site was cultured, just in case he picked up 'staph' or some other bug while in the hospital Monday.
Pain med, fluids and antibiotic via IV.

8 hours later back home. New prescription for Percocet, antibiotic and Prevecid. No CT scan or culture results yet!

Chemo class scheduled for today has now been re-set for tomorrow. We also learned that Buzz is to get his 1st chemo next Wednesday.

We are both exhausted, as most of you can relate!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

Lois & Buzz

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Lois,

So sorry to hear that you guys are having such a hard time...jeez, it just too much! I am glad you saw your doc. Buzz's nausea is probably from all the pain meds ..poor soul. Hope you both can get some sleep tonight and I will say a little prayer for you both. If he keeps having pain...pitch a hissy fit (good NC term) and get someone to do something different! He just should not be having this kind of discomfort!

Feel better Buzz...Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hissy fit is also a good "Nurse from Hell" [or wife from hell as the case may be-term smile One of the hardest things I had to learn was to NOT let a problem fester until Friday. If it looks like a potential problem on Wednesday- get it addressed on Thursday!!!. Doctors tend to disappear for the weekends. I have some hats I can send you Lois. Amy in Oz

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel