Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40704 02-06-2007 09:48 AM
mazey Offline OP
OP Offline

My daughter is fighting tongue cancer. This is my first post. She suddenly has developed mouth sores over the weekend, fever 102, low white blood count. They admitted her today. Just wondering if any one here knows how quickly a drug like Neulasta will increase wbc's?

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Maxey,

Please tell us more about her Tx. Chemo is usually the cause of low WBC. Mouth sores are common with Rad, but more info would be helpful.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
mazey Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, She is a T3, no nodes, no mets. 31 y/o.
Cisplatin 3 weeks ago. Erbotux every week for past 3 weeks. Rad. daily. Today was #15.
I understand about the drop in wbc's but was wondering if anyone knew how fast they can be expected to increase after Neulasta/Neupogen?
Also, she is having alot of trouble moving the phlegm around in her throat....any suggestions.
Her mouth is full of infected sores and swollen and very painful! She is on 3 IV antibiotics as inpatient. White ct. yesterday was 2.9 and lower today! Thanks, Linda

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Mazey,

You need to consult with your MO re the WBC issue. Any of us can react differently to the same Tx. I had the same chemo and I assume the same IMRT but I never had mouth sore problems nor problems with low WBC.

I know from reading other posts there are a lot of mouth washes that people have used for the sores. One I recall is called Miracle Mouthwash which your doc can order through your pharmacy. I have also heard of warm salt water.

The thick secretions I did have and they were pretty bad for about 2 weeks as I remember. I would wake uo at night choaking on it. Pretty ugly stuff, but it went away on it's own and was replaced by dry mouth which will last for a long time.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My sister was hospitalized for the exact same condition as your daughter- I think Penny had neutropenia caused from treatment. Her count came up within a few days if I remember- all I really remember was the fright. I know Penny's dropped even lower than you mentioned. Just be strong-know that this is all part of it. In regards to the secretions this too I know was a constant for her for a while, I think she had a humidifier running, and also she was told to rince with baking soda and salt water- this supposedly will "deactivate" the bacteria-truly I'm not sure if this worked since she could barely put anything in her mouth, but from what I've read I think it's worth a try- Be well and ask your Dr's and then ask again and then ask some more!

Sarah

Sister is Stage 4 DIAG 9/06 Tongue/Tonsil /T4N1MO - BOT -right lateral/crossed midline-42 X IMRTS/ Carbo/Taxol for 7 weeks- finished treatment early 12/06-no trace to be found 1/24/07 Recurrence 12/09- rad neck and partial gloss 2/10

My husband's wbc came up in about 2 days.

Check into getting a portable suction machine from a health supply agency like Apria. Most insurance companies will cover it. And if not, it's well worth the money to be able to suction out that awful mucous. My husband had the machine for about 4 months. It's like the machine a dentist has.

Caregiver to husband David, non smoker. Dx 1/06 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV, neck nodes involved. Surgery/Chemo/Rad. Treatment finished 5/06. Waiting. Recurrence in lung, Aug07. 6 months Cisplatin/Erbitux. Spots shrinking after 3 Cisplatin tx.
mazey Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, for your suggestions and answers. She got Neulasta and wbc's up the next day from 1.5 to 6.3. Yay! Temp started coming down and was getting 3 antibiotics. Home on Friday. She was using suction at hospital and it helped ALOT! So did get a port. machine for home. She is feeling better.....also got some better pain control while in hosp. and at home.

B Offline

I would look into the magic mouthwash and the suction machine, They both help my husband alot. The mouthwash is a solution the pharmacy mixes which consist of lidocaine maalox and bendadryl, it soothes and coats the sores at least for a little while infact I am going to the pharmacy after I post this to pick up some more, The suction machine works so well with the saliva, I highly recommend geting one.
Take Care
B

BOT stage IV SCC moderately diff, invasive. radiation 2 chemos. DX 06/06. Ended radiation 8/11/06. Bleed out from tonsil area from radiation necrosis 10/27/06.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics