Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40298 08-29-2006 04:54 AM
OP Offline

Does anyone know or have experience of the statistics of what a low dose of cisplatin does to male fertility? My husband's tumor board suggested 3 doses of cisplatin given in 2 week intervals of 300 mg/m^2 during his radiation treatment for his stage I tongue cancer in which there were two nodes involved (both less than 1 cm). No one at the cancer center even mentioned to us the possibility that this drug could indeed affect his fertility and it wasn't until I did my research that I discovered this. I was quite furious at the hospital and when I contacted them yesterday the oncologist said they were used to dealing with older patients where this is not an issue normally. In other words, they weren't considering our quality of life when they proposed this treatment. My husband and I were very upset and put forth our opinions to the hospital. The oncologist says that with this low of dose that he doesn't think that it should affect his fertility but suggested donating sperm anyway just in case, although he was quite sure that wouldn't be covered by our insurance. I also asked the doctor about the newer drug Erbitux that I have heard so much on this board and have done some research on myself. He said that it was too new and too experimental and that he didn't think they were able to use it. So basically they are proposing this treatment but not offering us any alternatives or choices in the matter. We have an HMO and although they're cancer center is tied into UCLA medical we know that they are required to follow a specific protocol for certain disorders. It left us feeling like just a number in a crowd of patients with not much concern to our specific needs and case. Steve and I were just married in February of this year. We do indeed want a child. Steve is 29 and I am 32 and a cervical cancer survivor. I chose my risky treatment of surgery alone in order to preserve my fertility. My doctor (from back east in Maryland) gave me this option but with one catch in that I come in every 3 months for 5 years for cancer checks. He knew that my quality in life included child rearing and this was taken into consideration when my treatment was decided. To this day I have remained cancer free and reached my 5 year mark only 2 months ago. We would like to hear some of your views and experiences with this matter especially for the younger members where this was an issue. And if anyone knows of any chemo drugs that are less harmful to the reproduction system we would love any insight that you might have.

Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle, wife & caregiver of Steve/T1N1M0 right lateral tongue cancer/Surgery 8-3-06/Started treatment 9-13-06 -- IMRT x30 Plus 3 sessions carboplatin
#40299 08-29-2006 03:38 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I suggest you contact the people at another non-profit - started by an oral cancer survivor- called Fertile Hope. They deal exclusively with the issues of fertility and childbirth after cancer. A link is on the OCF resources page with phone numbers or you can just Google them.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#40300 09-23-2006 05:05 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Michelle
First I wanted you to know that Erbitux is NOT an experimental drug any more. It has been approved by the powers that be for oral cancer. Your insurance should cover it because of this. The doctors told us that they believed that Erbitux could cut the possibility of re-occurance almost in half. With this type of cancer that is a wonderful, wonderful percentage!
Now as for babies...Our doc specifically asked us if we were planning to have any more (we are 32 and 33 yrs old) and we had already decided we were done, but I still asked the question.. Would he still be able to pro-create. The doc said most likely no, but that they could do some fancy paperwork and try to get the insurance to approve sperm donation and storage. So talk to your doctor and see what they say! I am sorry that you are having to go through this with your husband, the one thing that is really on your side is that you've been there. It will help you when he is having rough days, when and if the depression hits, when he is feeling good-you will know that he has to still take it easy and not over-do.
Biggest thing here is to take a deep breath, and take everything moment by moment, but look for the blessings-I kept a journal of all the blessings that happened so that on MY bad days I could look back and see all the things that made me happy.
My heart and Love is with you!!
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina