Next Thread
Print Thread
#36547 04-22-2003 07:00 PM
gpk101 Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello, all!
I've been reading LOTS of your past posts recently and I really must say this is a most loving and caring group that I have stumbled onto. I'm really glad I found it.
I am FINALLY (Diag 14Feb) to start treatment on this Thu, 24Apr (Chemo-5fu, Cistplatin, and Taxotere) This is a clinical trial where the taxotere is the wild card. Mostly used for breast cancer, I'm apprehensive about its' strength/toxicities. I've already been pretty much incapacitated with just the pain (and meds!), but am anxious about side-effects in general but in particular this combo. They want to do 3 cycles of 1 dose every 21 days and then radiation. (Hopefully smaller field so it won't kill my salivary glands)
I am in treatment at Grady in Atl, with Emory doctors/trainees, so I feel confident that they are fairly "cutting edge" folks, but the whole process is very dehumanizing. I am especially frustrated by the amount of time that has passed since the original diagnoses. ^$%$# bureaucracy...THIS IS MY LIFE! I feel that when originally seen, it was small enough to be completly removed by minimally invasive surgery (stage I), which was originally planned, but now has progressed to stage III or early IV!!!!!! due to delays and unforseen circumstances)
I have been trying to be proactive in my approach and have just finished a class on "raw and living foods" that seems to have "cured" a number of folks from various ailments-- mostly CANCER. I tend to be just a little skeptical about "holy rollers" testimonials- esp when I hear "don't do chemo/radiation at all- GO NATURAL!" My heart wants to believe that this is the way but I know in my gut that this will just have to be a "complementary" thing. I'm SO ANXIOUS AND CONFUSED YET strangely HOPFULL that all will be well. I've never had cancer before and never even KNOWN anyone who had it, and feel adrift........
BOY!!! can I relate to the folks who have been honest with their fears and have just wanted to BOLT!!! Just get in the car and drive so far that it'll never catch up!!!
sorry for such a long post. Hope to hear some healing and strengthening words from you healers out there. God bless you all.
Gordon in Atl

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo
10yrs-still kickin!

#36548 04-23-2003 03:39 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Gordon,
I was surfing the FDA website the other day and they have a list of all the cancer drugs and a description of the indications for use, applications, etc. Go here for more info.
http://www.fda.gov/cder/cancer/druglistframe.htm

Beware of quackery - there is a lot of it out there in regards to cancer. Pray for wisdom of your doctors. Do your own research on state of the art protocols and be your own advocate. What kind of radiation, XRT or IMRT? I can relate very well about wanting to bolt. My cancer became stage III because of denial!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
cokecolagrannie, RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie
13,186 Registered Users
Forum Statistics