Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Carol, that's good news. Since you are pureeing the carrots and beans, how about serving them over angelhair pasta [cooked very soft and rinsed free of startch] for some extra bulk. If he can tolerate milk, cream added to the carrots would be a good sauce over the pasta.You might even be able to slip an egg into the sauce for protein Let's hope he keeps coming home asking for more stuff to try smile Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Mom,

Be careful about buying in bulk when he asks for something. My wife did that to but usually after trying something once I didn't like it and would ask for something different the next time. The last time I looked in the panty there were all sorts of stuff I would never eat but did request once.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My hat's off to anybody who can eat anything after 5 weeks of rad. It was all I could do to choke down 5-6 Ensures everyday. Didn't eat any solid food for about 4+ months.

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I have thrown away more food than i care to mention.Like David, Robin thinks he would like to try something and usualy after two mouthfuls he changes his mind and the dog gets it!!!

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I know the feeling...a few mouths full and he saids in time usually after it sits there on the counter that he cant eat it. He may have changed his mind and wont eat it or just tries a few mouths full. I usually only put a small amount out for him and store the rest for me later. (most times) We are now stocked with everything he usually liked. e.g 4 boxes of oatmeal and the list goes on. I also try not to eat good stuff in front of him...2 weeks to go!!! 10 days and counting!!

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Carol, it will get better. It'll be a while, but it'll get better.

At that point in radiation, I had given up on solid food completely and was just drinking.

We don't have the much lauded Carnation VHC in Canada, but we have a close second available.

Go to Walmart pharmacy, and ask them to order Resource 2.0
Make sure they order 2.0 and not plus. 2.0 comes in two flavors; vanilla and orange, and there are 27 per case.

I would put one in the blender, then add one of those frozen fruit smoothie mixes for a milkshake that's almost a 1000 calories.

I also added fresh and frozen fruit, espresso, etc. for variety, and my wife used it instead of milk in cooking, mixin git with potatoes, carrots, and peas.

It has a neutral taste compared to jevity, Boost, Ensure, etc. and there's no chemical aftertaste.

He may find it a palatable choice. I know it's the only one I could stand, it's the highest calorie count short of Scandia Shakes ( 600 cals/serving), and I still drink at least one a day for a calorie boost.

It actually tastes quite good; I really don't mind it at all

Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I have heard that BlackJack gum helps some radiology pts with the metallic taste.

Hang in there it's worth the fight.
Marg

caregiver to husband
right tonsil stage 3
35 IMRT TX completed 1/5/2007
PET Scan clear 3/07
biopsy 9/07 clear
1st yr PET scan 12/18/07 clear
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Frozen fruit smoothies, where do you get that and what is the brand that you used to make this drink. I have Ensure Plus (dietition told me to get it) and Nutren 1.5 stocked here,some regular Resource and Resource Plus, not to mention Carnation Instant Breakfast (in 4 or 5 flavours). I have an arsenal of canned goods now. In fact the cupboard space has been extended to the window sill. LOL. Hope someone eats this stuff. Carol...ps Add Boost puddings to the list and it goes on.

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)

mommapez, you can add a packet of carnation instant breakfast to your ensure in a blender with some frozen fruit and some fruit syrup(torani etc) if you want it sweeter and blend that up for a nutrition rich smoothie.

Caregiver to husband David, non smoker. Dx 1/06 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV, neck nodes involved. Surgery/Chemo/Rad. Treatment finished 5/06. Waiting. Recurrence in lung, Aug07. 6 months Cisplatin/Erbitux. Spots shrinking after 3 Cisplatin tx.

Hello, This is Kyle 51's wife writing. My husband is in week 4 of radiation and chemo and not on a feeding tube. The nurses at UCLA turned us on to a product called Benecalorie (made by Resource). It's a 1.5 ounce liquid that you can add to pudding or yogurt to get extra calories and nutrients. On the days Kyle struggles to eat/drink he likes it because it's such a small amount to get down compared to other supplements. He swallows down yogurt with this mix fairly easily. The 800 number is 800-828-9194. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users