Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Shrittah, I hope that my posting did not offend you. Yes, you should see another doctor. If anything it will help your piece of mind. I am just a year older than you and I know how scared you are right now. Keep a positive attitude and everything will be OK.

Good Luck!!!

Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-intermediate grade. Removed 3/05. Additional surgery to get clean margins and selective neck dissection 4/05. 30 lymph nodes removed. All clear!!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Shrittah,

Welcome to our website. But sorry you had to find us.

Please don't be offended where none was intended.
Joanna said it best in her posting above. If you do have cancer this website can offer you advice
on what treatments and side effects may occur. Who better to ask than someone who has walked the path ahead of you?

As far as expense there are many hospitals who can write off the expense for people who can't pay. I would look into that as an option.

I think if it was me in your shoes I would seek another opinion at a comprehensive cancer center if possible. You want someone who sees alot of what you have. You also want a team of doctors to review all tests and pathlogy reports and come to an agreement on the best treatment for you. As Gary as mentioned many times a ENT (cutter) will usually want to cut, A radiation guy will normally want to use rad and medical on'gist will want to use chemo. You want the best treatment for you!!! The more knowledge you have about this diaease the more power you will have. It is a most unforgiving diaease.

I understand your concerns about the expense. I am almost two years out from DX and I know the total bill is over $300.000.00. Thank God my wife is a nurse and has very good insurance.

Best Wishes and please keep us posted on how your doing. We do care about you.

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Shrittah, some of the messages here may sound offensive but I trust that they were not intentional. Members here just try to show their concern and make you feel the urgency of your case. Don't let the diagnosis be delayed because of financial problem. I think in a developed country like US, no one should be rejected for medical treatment due to financial difficulty. Danny, your bill is really astronomical as compared to mine which was less than US$2,000 including diagnosis tests, radiation/ chemo treatment,medication, hospital chareges, follow up scans, etc. Now I understand why medical insurance is so very important in your place.
Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Karen,
Actually Dannys doing pretty well. The bill for my IMRT alone was over $300,000. That didn't include chemotherapy, 2 visits to the ER and a ton of scans and lab work. Of course because I have insurance, I only paid $5.00 copays for each doctor visit or prescription. The CCC sent me copies of the bills they sent to the HMO, which paid them.

The people who really suffer in the US are the middle and lower middle classes or people who own property. If you are totally indigent then the public health care system will pay for your treatment through Medicaid or eventually Medicare if you are diabled for longer than 2 years. It is a more institutionalized setting but I know of some people with very advanced lung cancers who were treated successfully at our local county hospital. Many of the county hospitals are also teaching hospitals much like is shown on "ER". Publicly funded hospitals have to take patients with no ability to pay. Unfortunately you can't own much personal property. Even an old car might disqualify you.
I would check with the county welfare office to see if you can qualify.

My wife and I have a very good health plan and it cost $1,113.00/mo. We are both over 50 (and I am over 55) so that increases the rates dramatically.

My total out of pocket expenses is closer to Karens, and that's over a three year period.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Thank God for Insurance. I am not finished yet but so far my bill is over $500,000.00. I had a tumor on my vocal cord, no operation Radiation and
Chemo. Completion of everything was Jan 3rd of 2005. Voice still raspy. I never see any responses on this. Any out there to give me support?
Fran

Fran,
Depending on where the radiation is concentated, I think everyone has a raspy voice for a while after radiation. Yours may be worst than most because the concentration was on the vocal chords. Ask your rd about it. I had general rad all over in 1997 because of occult primary. My voice did change some permanently, but nothing significant, until I had the second occurrence. I hope things improve for you.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Fran, it isn't raspy, it is sexy. laugh Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Fran,

Rod had 35 rad tx & 3 rounds of cisplatin. His voice was really raspy for about 5 months after tx actually. It got better as the months went by. He is 10 months out now & his voice sounds alot better. Not the same, but I think it has something to do with his dentures???I can't explain it.He had a beautiful singing voice and won alot of contests with it! That was really hard on him that he had to stop singing. The dry mouth doesn't help but maybe one day.... Anyway his voice did get better with time. It seemed like right after tx it was the worst, sounded like he always had to clear his throat but that could have been all the phlegm too. It takes time but I believe it will get better! Good luck & God bless!Maureen smile

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users