Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bill K Offline OP
OP Offline

This is my first post to this forum. I have a stage III base of tongue Squamous tumor. The good Docs tell me a total glossectomy and probable laryngectomy is in order (yuk). I had right side dissection and a full course of radiation to both sides 11 years ago for unknown primary (tumor on lower right mandible), so they are not recommending any more radiation or chemo at this point. The surgeon seems confident that he can take it all.

The Doctors and Speech Pathologists have been good at describing worse case / best case scenario

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi, welcome aboard........Frank had total removal of lower face including tongue and larnyx 2 years ago with extensive reconstuction. He still has a feeding tube, we had 6 surgeries in 2 years. His tongue was reconstructed, there has been 2 more reoccurances of Ca since, currently in the sinus..............we are really....been there, done that................but still keep keeping on..............Dee and Packer

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Bill
Try www.readplease.com This has free software..So at least you can try it, I thought quite good with different voices. My husband is blind so I don't do notes... but I only had to have lazer surgery so was able to talk well enough. Hope this helps
Take care we are all in this together,
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Bill K Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Dee. Frank will sure be an inspiration for me. I'm sitting here with my laptop taking my fist drink of water with my g-tube. What a great technology. It's just a bit unnerving to think that I might never really drink water or eat "real" food again. But if I live a while longer to hug my kids and grandkids, I guess I can do without "Dining Out". My surgery will be on 1/26.

How is Frank doing?? Is he currently in the hospital or is he at home? What treatment will he have for his sinus cancer. I assume that it's Squamous. Please keep me posted on his progress.

Bill

Bill K Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the tip Helen. I'll download the program tonight. I found a demo for "TextAloud" it has a bunch of voices, but only a few that sound good. I'm really impressed with the quality.

Thanks again,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I must say you have a great attitude considering what you are facing! For sure that goes a long way when recovering. I will be hoping that they won't have to do such major work once they get in and look around.

I must confess I am not comfortable with the idea that you went through all this 11 years ago. That just plain stinks.

Take care and be sure to let us know how things are.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bill,
Welcome. Yours is a very touching story and I wish you all of the best with your surgery. Obviously you are taking a well-informed approach and have a great attitude. I still cannot eat the majority of foods, but find that I really don't miss the stuff that I can't eat.
Isn't it great that you made it eleven (very good I hope) years before the recurrance. Many times I have thought that I would be willing to cut a deal for a sure ten years or so of survival. Here's to many, many more good years for you.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics