Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26083 12-31-2003 07:17 AM
Sharon Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I had a right radical neck disection last Dec and 15% of my tongue removed in Sept/03. Everything was normal until out of the blue I woke up Sunday morning and the right side of my face was all swollen, there is a little more pain than usual around my chin and jaw but no redness.

I called my doctor Monday morning and he asked me to come in. He checked my neck and mouth and found nothing and said the swelling could be from sleeping too long on that side or from a bug bite which I know that neither are true. I sleep on that side all the time and there are no bugs around,it's too cold. He did not seem too concerned about it and said it will go away.

My face is still swollen and I'm wondering what it could be since your face doesn't swell up for no reason. Has anyone else experienced swelling like this?

Right Radical Neck Disection 2/02, 7 wks Rad. rgt side 04/03, 15% of tongue removed 08/03, Lung Met 05/04, lung surgery removed 8 nodules and 4 lymph nodes in chest all SCC
#26084 12-31-2003 12:09 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Sharon,

I wouldn't be too hard on your doctor yet...the bug bite might be a stretch but the position of your head and related lymph drainage could be the problem.

You didn't mention how much swelling but I have had noticeable swelling that comes and goes for no apparent reason. Radiation will make things worse. I'd watch carefully and if any pain or redness comes up then call doc again.

take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26085 01-01-2004 05:20 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Sharon,
I have had in the past swelling in the same area you have. The first time I headed straight for the Emergency Room after calling my Doctor in a panic. It ended up being a blocked Salivary Gland and the swelling went down in a couple of days. Massaging the are helped a lot. This has happened a few times now and I think I have pinned down the reason for it. I seemed to be suffering from extreme dry mouth every time and no amount of water/liquids seemed to help alleviate it. Mix this with something like a Burger or some kind of sandwich and you have a blocked gland. If you think back to what you ate and how dry your mouth was that day I bet that is what has happened to you.
David

#26086 01-02-2004 11:53 AM
Sharon Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank You very much Mark and David. I am glad to hear that this is not unusual and that I should not be worried.

I still have a swollen face, it is on the right side from my eye lid down past my nose and my jaw line. It doesn't seem swollen around my ear. I go for a regular checkup with my surgeon on January 13, so I will let you know if I find out anything.

Thanks again, Sharon

Right Radical Neck Disection 2/02, 7 wks Rad. rgt side 04/03, 15% of tongue removed 08/03, Lung Met 05/04, lung surgery removed 8 nodules and 4 lymph nodes in chest all SCC
#26087 01-03-2004 09:01 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I have a small issue with anyone coming away from posts here with a "nothing to worry about" feeling. I had a similar situation post-op and it turned out to be a deep tissue infection. The evidence of infection was revealed, in a CAT scan, only a few days after I was told it was normal post-op swelling. Although not cancer, an infection is not a good thing and I would think 2 weeks is too long to wait. I am no doctor but it sure sounds like what I had and I spent a week back in the hospital on IV's getting rid of it. Find comfort in these posts, but see the doctor again for that true sense of relief.

Glenn

#26088 01-03-2004 04:50 PM

Sharon,

My post is not a knock on you, Mark or David. Just trying to look out for you. As I re-read my post it seemed a little sharp. I write a lot of "orders and rules" where I work and my writing style is often missing that warm touch! There is a great wealth of knowledge here but I just felt that this topic, in an effort to provide comfort, was glossing over a possible issue.

Glenn

#26089 01-04-2004 04:32 AM

Hi folks,

Glenn your point is well taken and I didn't think it was "sharp". Since most of us here are not medical professionals we have to be careful not to sound like we know more than we do. While swelling is a fairly common side effect that doesn't mean all swelling is normal.

I too had an infection early on, post surgery that was poopooed by the doctor. Fortunately a family friend (who is a doctor) got the ball rolling quickly with antibiotics.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26090 01-31-2004 04:23 AM

Hi Sharon,
I know this response is a month late, but when I read your post, I had to respond. I am feeling the same way. I had a modified radical neck disection in August 2002 and my tx ended in October. The swelling has happened intermittently until the last month. Now it happens daily. My ent/surgeon says the same thing, that iit is lymph fluid that pools on that side of the face due to the surgery/radiation. He didnt seem too concerned about it either, and I practically had to force him to write me a referral to a physical therapist. I have seen my PT 1 time, who has diagnosed me with having secondary lymphedema, due to my cancer. it is more common in the limbs, however it can happen anywhere lymph nodes are involved. Anyway, she is teaching me manual lymph drainage, which is a light touch massage, trying to push the fluid to the nodes under my arm. I do have pain as well and feel like I have the flu for the last week or so now I am questioning the diagnosis. Apparently there is no pain associated with lymphedema, only a tight full feeling.
Did you see your doctor earlier this month? I am curious what he said and how you are feeling. Let me know if you can.

Kelley

SCC tonsil(left) with contralateral mets. Modified right neck disection August, 2002. 33 rads(62 gy)both sides of neck and 3 cycles cisplatin completed October 25, 2002. 34 yo at time of diagnosis

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics