Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#25781 04-27-2003 06:02 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hey guys-another post since my last. Question: In the case where your doctor found cancer after doing a biopsy, did he/she call you before your scheduled appointment to tell you or did they wait until you came to the office to give you the news. Just a question that is running through my mind......
Awaiting your replies in anticipation..
Desiree'

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Desiree'
My head and neck surgeon called me into the office and told me personally.

Gary
---------------------
SCC, Stage III, right tonsil

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OP Offline

Thanks Gary!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My ENT called me on the phone when he got the biopsy results.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi, I have never been to a doctor that has given results over the phone. I had a biopsy on my cervix and my Dr said they never tell results good or bad over the phone.
My husbands ENT would only see him in the office for biopsy results and CT Scan results.

My Aunts Doctor on the other hand left a message on her answering machine that she had lymphoma cancer!! I would much rather hear it in person than on the phone.

Sherrie wife to Dan, Tonsil cancer survivor, Stage IV diagnosed July/2001
OP Offline

Yeah-I would rather hear it in person too! I am just wondering my results and I do get them tommorrow at 2:30 pm EST, but I read alot of people's things that said their doctor called them on the phone to tell them the results when they found cancer. I thought maybe since I heard anything yet, I could alleviate my fear and anxiety because if it was bad, they would have called me. Well, I think in my case, he would not call me anyway since I already had a scheduled appt. and if he called and asked me to come in early, I would be very upset driving there, etc. Besides, if the results are pos., I need to ask alot of questions. Thanks for the replys.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Desiree'
I wanted to let you know that my husband, Dennis, went to the ENT with a sore throat that wouldn't clear up after 3 visits with the GP and 4 rounds of antibiotics. Dennis made the comment one night about three months after the symptoms started that he "Just didn't feel right. I want an appt with an ENT. I've got cancer or something". I made the appointment the next day, but didn't think seriously about it. A week later, he saw the ENT and the doctor immediately ran a scope down his throat. I didn't go with Dennis, because I really didn't think it serious, and our boys needed me. Before my husband even left the ENT's office, the hospital had called me to get our insurance information, and told me that Dennis was scheduled for an outpatient procedure the next morning. Half-laughing, I got on my Nextel, and asked my husband if there was something he wanted to tell me. Keep in mind.....I've got kids fighting, TV blaring, supper on the stove......and total silence on the other end of my radio. He came back and told me that the doctor suspected cancer. And if the biopsy came back negative, he would demand that it be redone. The ENT was THAT sure that it was cancer. I fell on my knees, and haven't stood up straight since. My long story....in short....is PLEASE persue this and know that, in my case, the ENT was very time conscious. Time is the one thing you don't want to waste in the diagnosis. I hope I haven't scared you. I only want you to know how DAMN mad I am that we wasted three months with Nurse Practictioners and GPs.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

In my husband's case - there was a neck lump, and when he finally went to see the ENT doc - he did the fine needle aspiration, checked in his mouth, his nose ...made him recite the alphabet (to check the vocal cords)...and he said he STILL couldn't tell for sure what was going on. Almost a month later - my husband went in for a surgical biopsy of the area, and after the procedure...the ENT doc called me over to him and sat me in a small room (with the door partially shut). I knew this couldn't be good - and he said that he definitely has cancer. He said it was called squamous cell carcinoma. I asked what stage it was in...and he said III possibly IV. Needless to say - I was numb. In total shock and disbelief. Even though prior to this surgery, I did TONS of research on the internet to find any and all scenarios it could be, and the sad thing was...everything I researched was not good. In my heart of hearts, I knew this had to be cancer - but still, no matter how prepared you think you are - the news always hits you like a ton of bricks. So to make a long story short - I was told at the hospital. My husband was not informed until after he came around from the anesthesia....and I had to tell him. It was the worst thing I ever had to do in my life. I'll never forget that day, as I'm sure none of us will ever forget that moment when our lives were forever changed.

DonnaJean

I actually went to 2 different ENT's for diagnosis -1 before I had insurance and 1 after. The one before, took one quick look, told me I had a very advanced, life threatening cancer that I needed removed immediately. I proceeded to pass out until they got the smelling salts. I thought is was a peritonsillar abcess! I was already freaked about having it drained! The next week I had insurance and went to the HMO Head and Neck doc and he immediately took a biopsy and ordered an MRI. The following week he called me in to give me the biospy results (of course, I already knew). The second doc actually told me it could be a benign papilloma.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OP Offline

You guys are too good to me and I do not even know you. I am going to get my results in a few hours and I PROMISE to come back tonight and inform you of them as well. Thanks for your stories and I wish all of you the very best. Stay strong!!
Desiree'

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916