Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25688 02-23-2003 11:01 AM
molly Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have a question about metastisis. My sister had tonsillar cancer in right tonsil a year ago and after neck dissection pathology report said it was in one lymph node also. Is this considered a metastisis? I thought it was, but the an article in our newspaper about cancer says it is when the cancer travels from primary source toa DISTANT area of body. The example they gave was ovarian cancer traveling to brain. Would my sister's-tonsil to lymph node in neck be a metastisis?

#25689 02-23-2003 12:40 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Anything that is not the location of the primary tumor is a metastasis of those cancer cells. The primary is often referred to as the "index tumor". It is possible to have a "second primary" coinciding with the index tumor, but in oral cancers that is unlikely. Secondary primaries, sometimes refer to the recurrence tumor at a date later than the original index tumor. The difference between local mets vs. distant mets is only an issue of time. A person with distant mets has a cancer which has progressed farther, and likely been in place longer. In breast cancer for instance, node involvement in the armpit is the most likely met from the primary cancer. It is the closest area to the breast where mets are characteristically found. In oral cancers the closest mets are usually to the neck or cervical nodes. In both cancers, STATISTICALLY, node involvement is correlated with poorer outcomes.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25690 02-23-2003 12:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Molly,

I can only speak for how it was phrased to me. And the answer to your question would be yes...I have tonsil cancer with neck metastisis...that also now is liver mets.

The lymph nodes in the neck would be considered mets and the primary is the tonsil.

Take care of that sis,
Dinah

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320